send music to my car?

Imaulle

[H]ard|Gawd
so my car has a usb slot in the glove box. is there a way that I can make a device that has a built in wifi connection or something and make it so I see the device on my network, and can just drag and drop music into whatever device I would need, so that i can then listen to the music in my car? Without needing to constantly transfer the device back and forth? I guess it'll need a battery too or something? not sure if this will be possible :\

so my car has a usb slot in the glove box. is there a way that I can make a device that has a built in wifi connection or something and make it so I see the device on my network, and can just drag and drop music into whatever device I would need, so that i can then listen to the music in my car? Without needing to constantly transfer the device back and forth? I guess it'll need a battery too or something? not sure if this will be possible :\

Bit more complicated question then I think you realize. Are you trying to "stream" music to your system? Copy it to a HD that's in your car? Built-in like Microsoft Sync or...? etc etc.

i understand the complications! but come on its 2012!

yeah just a copy to a hdd in the car or something. not a 'streaming' device

I currently have an aftermarket stereo with built in bluetooth with AD2P which allows my phone to stream audio through the headunit.

In my old BMW, I had bluetooth, but it was not AD2P so it was not compatible with my phone's audio streaming. Blackberry used to make a bluetooth gateway which worked very well. You plug the Blackberry bluetooth gateway into a stereo input on your stereo and it can connect to your phone's bluetooth and stream music.

If you can find one, they used to go for around $70!
http://www.amazon.com/BlackBerry-Remote-Stereo-Bluetooth-Gateway/dp/B00170KUM0

[Edit]
I am sure other companies make a similar product, but I have only used the one made by Blackberry. This way requires you to have an iPod/MP3 Player w/bluetooth/Phone in the vehicle.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
It sounds like he wants to mount his car like a file share and be able to drag-drop songs directly onto an internal hard drive (or in this case a USB stick) without having to remove the stick from his car.

The only way I can think of doing this is by utilizing some kind of carpc with a wifi card somehow connected to your car's battery.

VIA Nano Mini-ITX with Wireless antenna in car's grill. Load small Linux Distro like DSL onto SSD and use rest of the space to hold music.

You pull into range of house, synch kicks off and loads the music from your home network onto your car's computer. Audio out from computer to Audio in on Stereo.

That's pretty much it.

Edited to add
Throw a small stylus-based touch screen into your console.

Computer uses ~30 watts of power, Liliput 7" Touchscreen LED/LCD takes <10 watts.

Fuse everything up right and use a M3-ATX PSU for the Nano and you're set. (Monitor uses 12v cigarette plug-in adapter)

Edited again to add pics.

Initial Build
98767679.jpg

83881887.jpg

Upgraded SSD
32024150.jpg

Last edited:
I used an AMD A4-3400 in an Asus F1-A75Deluxe mobo, 8GB GSkill Sniper 2100, Scythe Kozuti cooler, 480GB Corsair Force 3GT SSD, US Robotics USB 3.0 USB Card Reader (because it has dual SDXC Card Slots), (2) Class 10 128GB SDXC Cards, and loaded Windows 7 Professional 64-bit.

I had something like ~640GB of space for videos and music on my system.

Worked fine but I pulled it all out and threw it into a case to replace my HTPC that I gave to a friend whose computer died. (he didn't have any money to replace his)

I will re-do the system eventually, but this time I'll use a Raspberry Pi as the platform.

Carputer sounds like an awful lot of work just to accomplish this. Perhaps air stash would work for you as a wireless flash drive? I've never actually used one though.

http://www.amazon.com/Maxell-AirStash-Expandable-Capacity-Wireless/dp/B006473T92

Seems like it would be just about as easy, and way cheaper, to just unplug a cheap flash drive and bring it in the house when you wanted to swap songs.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back