send commands to pc's over a lan.. question.

eldiet

Limp Gawd
Before you say Remote Desktop or vnc let me explain what i want to accomplish.

I picked up a kiosk pc off ebay with a 12" touchscreen. I plan to flush mount it into a wall of the house and use it for home automation. It will probably be running a front end such as myHTPC (www.myhtpc.net). Big buttons to push, but no keyboard interaction.

So as an example.. lets say I wanted to have my htpc start playing music. Could I push a button on the kiosk that sends the command to the htpc to run winamp.

Is this doable? it seems like it is, but i cant think of the software i'd need.

Option 1
Hmm. Touchscreens use RS-232 i think to communicate with the PC. Technically you could mount the monitor in the wall, and run the control cable (rs-232) to the PC stored elsewhere in the rouse. Just use cat5 for the cablen the create an rj-45 -> DB9 with the appropriate pinout.

Option 2
If you wanted to pass rs-232 commands over your lan there is a program called ComIP that encapsualted rs-232 commands with IP packetss, but I think option 1 would be easier.

just doing a quick search, that seems like ancient technology.. i'll look into it, but there has to be something more current that'd allow this.

You could always do it with just simple SSH access or something.

Write some shell scripts to shh/telnet to the machine, & run the command on button push...

Back