Senator Warns Fitbit Is a 'Privacy Nightmare'

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Senator Chuck Schummer is worried about the privacy concerns associated with FitBit fitness trackers in particular and smartphone apps in general. The Senator issued a statement today pushing for federal protection against unauthorized information collection and third party sales.

In his statement, the senator called on the Federal Trade Commission to require companies to notify consumers if their fitness and location data could be sold to third parties — and to allow users to opt-out of these deals.

Senator is just pissed that his wife found out about his 14 year old prostitutes he visits in Brazil when he's on "business trips", thanks to watching his tracker.

Kidding aside, he is right, but I'd go a step further and not say "opt-out", but simply require that a consumer OPT-IN in order for any of their information to be released to a third party.

He is right, so many classified sections banned these before they were released.

You're buying a "fitness tracker" whose sole purpose is "tracking" you, and you're worried about privacy? "Warning: Hot coffee is hot." :rolleyes:

You're buying a "fitness tracker" whose sole purpose is "tracking" you, and you're worried about privacy? "Warning: Hot coffee is hot." :rolleyes:
No, of course its tracking you. The thing is, as a consumer you can be perfectly happy with fitbit tracking you for the purposes outlined in the TOS and their reputation as a company in general, and believing at least that they wouldn't abuse that information personally since it would sink their company.

But that doesn't mean you are happy with them selling that information to a russian mafia boss. You didn't enter into a business agreement with the mafia, and didn't expect the mafia to have access to your travel plans via fitbit. You may not trust the mafia not to do bad things with that info as you would fitbit.

So its completely reasonable to create laws that say that any sharing of information collected by one entity cannot be sold or given to another entity (including the US government) without the consumer OPTING IN for that. And opt-out simply doesn't work, as they can make the opt out process difficult to find, that consumers aren't well aware of do to lack of advertising, or make it convoluted like requiring you complete a five minute survey before you get to the last page to click opt out after verifying your account by clicking a link in your email.

Erm, somethings wrong with your reading or comprehension.
When did it become ok for a "personal" tracking tool to violate your privacy?

I use mapmyrun which I imagine is similar. There's a difference between telling me my pace and selling my info....

His fake concern is just to deflection from the government tracking you on everything else.

people stupid enough to shell out the cash those stupid things cost to do almost nothing deserve to be tracked, herded up and put on a desert island together so they can have something real to worry about. they need to get a F#*@ing life.

people stupid enough to shell out the cash those stupid things cost to do almost nothing deserve to be tracked, herded up and put on a desert island together so they can have something real to worry about. they need to get a F#*@ing life.
I think somebody is upset that they can't afford one.

Back