Senate Panel Votes To Study Video Game Violence

HardOCP News

[H] News
And what happens when this study proves what all studies prove...there is no link between video games and real world violence? Knowing our government, we'll need a study to study that study.

"I strongly believe that we need to address all components of gun violence if we have a fighting chance at protecting our families and communities," Rockefeller said. "This includes studying the levels of violence in the video games our children play and the media they watch."

I'm sorry, but anyone evincing even an inkling of desire to run for public office should be disqualified from running.

Because it's a sign that they're a mental defective. Which is why we wind up with idiocy like this.

Humans have been murdering each other for thousands of years. Poverty, hate, and complete lack of empathy for our fellow man is bigger contribution to violence than video games.

OH YES! Please Senate, since you have NOTHING better to do, you can't be bothered to vote on nominees, and of course you would like nothing more than to distract people, get RIGHT to it. Incidentally, if you don't fucking vote, don't bitch about any of this shit.

"I strongly believe that we need to address all components of gun violence if we have a fighting chance at protecting our families and communities,"

Well, everything except guns, of course.

Instead of fixing the damn budget, they waste time mulling over bullshit about studies of an entertainment medium that isn't limited to children only. What a bunch of spineless jackasses with too much time on their hands.

Mental illness caused those deaths. Video games didn't cause the mental illness.

It will be a study somehow lead by a certain lawyer that got disbarred.

Instead of fixing the damn budget, they waste time mulling over bullshit about studies of an entertainment medium that isn't limited to children only. What a bunch of spineless jackasses with too much time on their hands.

Of course, they are taking away from the budget they can't agree on in the first place in order to fund this 'study'.

Humans have been murdering each other for thousands of years. Poverty, hate, and complete lack of empathy for our fellow man is bigger contribution to violence than video games.

While I fully believe this, I also can see a viewpoint of video games helping cause violence. But, it's easily avoided -

I see a lot of parents using the Xbox as a babysitter. Plop your 7 year old in front of the TV with a controller and the new game that they saw on TV (CoD or other FPS) while the parents go do whatever they want to do. Cheap babysitter. Now, 10 years later, the kid learned a lot from those games, and very little from his parents. He didn't learn the empathy that normally would be taught. He wasn't taught to be a good person.

But, I can do that with any media. The common part is the lack of good parenting. That's what I attribute the main cause to. My parents taught me to be a good person. Video games are fun, and I've played some violent ones in my day. I am not a violent person. But, I have great parents that taught me very well.

While I fully believe this, I also can see a viewpoint of video games helping cause violence. But, it's easily avoided -

I see a lot of parents using the Xbox as a babysitter. Plop your 7 year old in front of the TV with a controller and the new game that they saw on TV (CoD or other FPS) while the parents go do whatever they want to do. Cheap babysitter. Now, 10 years later, the kid learned a lot from those games, and very little from his parents. He didn't learn the empathy that normally would be taught. He wasn't taught to be a good person.

But, I can do that with any media. The common part is the lack of good parenting. That's what I attribute the main cause to. My parents taught me to be a good person. Video games are fun, and I've played some violent ones in my day. I am not a violent person. But, I have great parents that taught me very well.

In this case it's the parent fault, not the video game. That's how I see it anyway.Maybe we should fund a study of why some parents are fucking morons and shouldn't be parents in the first place?

In this case it's the parent fault, not the video game. That's how I see it anyway.Maybe we should fund a study of why some parents are fucking morons and shouldn't be parents in the first place?

What? You mean to tell me that people should be held accountable for their own actions. No, no, no, no sir. That is not how things are done around here. No.

:rolleyes:

Why can't people just be born pieces of shit? Why does EVERYTHING need to be filed away nicely and neatly into a cabinet? Video games are evil, nope, parents are, nope, it's the devil worshipin' music, nope, it's a gluten allergy... BAH!

Your little Mikey is just a defective production and is genetically fucked up. RMA denied!

and I think video games affect children, children playing, and they can not distinguish the real from the virtual life but not the fault of the parents who do not control their kids :)

I love how the gun-banning liberals always call it "gun violence", as if one kind of violence is somehow worse than another. If guns are so bad why do cops carry them? How about knives? Kind of hard to chop onions without them. Axes? Good luck removing that stubborn shrubbery the Knights Who Until Recently Said Ni installed in your yard without permission.

Maybe it's the person doing the deed and the deed in question and not the tools they use that should be focused on, and maybe stop using things like video games and music as scapegoats for bad behavior? That would make too much sense though, I know. Easier to just push a political agenda with soundbites and buzzwords than to actually solve any real problems.

If media has any influence, it's the news media who gives mass murderers the attention they crave. Why don't they study that? Or better yet, study the corruption and incompetence of politicians.

Why can't people just be born pieces of shit? Why does EVERYTHING need to be filed away nicely and neatly into a cabinet? Video games are evil, nope, parents are, nope, it's the devil worshipin' music, nope, it's a gluten allergy... BAH!

Your little Mikey is just a defective production and is genetically fucked up. RMA denied!

Some kids are naturally shitheads. But, for most of us, if we are raised right we will do well. There are those that had a good life that snapped. But, there are also those that have the potential to be mass killers, but their parents taught them the value of human life. Some things are taught and instilled by our parents. Other things are just natural. Sometimes you can overcome that natural urge by being taught it is wrong.

The worst thing you can do with a video game is throw the box or fling the cd at someone and they might get hurt, it's quotes like this one "..There's no such thing as a good gun. There's no such thing as a bad gun. A gun in the hands of a bad man is a very dangerous thing. A gun in the hands of a good person is no danger to anyone except the bad guys." from a previous, famous president of the N.R.A. making it ok to carry a gun because we are all good...........or so we think. Video games do not kill, guns do and that always has been the sole purpose of the gun. In the hands of your law abiding good christian man, it becomes a deadly killer when that same good fellow mistakes someone who is just lost and walking up his driveway at night for a hardened criminal and shoots him.

Maybe there should be a study, into how careless parents of children under the specified age limit of said games and movies are?

Well more unfortunate (or fortunTe if people act on it in the polls) of how we are ending up with more and more best government money can buy. Remember this is the same chucklehead that came out and out and out blamed video games for Sandy Hook. Not the parent who bought a crap ton of guns for her known unstable kid.

What makes me violent is seeing how my tax dollars are wasted on stupid studies.

This is too hot off a topic for the study to remain unbiased I feel.
Some narrow minded politician with their own agenda will dip their fingers in this.

Dude, have you ever seen "Looney Tunes"? Or the three stooges? That shit was off the hook.

Now, 10 years later, the kid learned a lot from those games, and very little from his parents. He didn't learn the empathy that normally would be taught. He wasn't taught to be a good person.
I believe that's why so many turtles are endangered now, an entire generation grew up being taught that jumping on turtles and kicking them at people is acceptable behavior, an unhealthy focus on material wealth trying to collect every coin they see, and that the ends justify the means when a princess is involved.

Do they really need a study for this? Rather than going after the cause of the problem, they should be working to outlaw the ownership of weapons which will take away the chance for crazy people to shoot or stab one another. Guns, knives, and other sharp or blunt objects need to be taken out of the hands of the public to prevent people with violent tendencies or who are mentally unstable gamers from having a way to fatally injure someone else.

I get the feeling that soon...we (the internet) will need to set up a "dumb*ss of the day" award.

thought they did plenty of studies that ended up saying "there's no cause or link"...but I guess these du-masses can't take "no" for an answer.

Dude, have you ever seen "Looney Tunes"? Or the three stooges? That shit was off the hook.

I miss Saturday morning cartoons. The good ones. And Three Stooges? I think I've seen almost all of them.

And, I'll admit, I've done the eye poke and other stooge actions. Recently.

They'll keep doing studies until they get the results they want. Of course, it's justified because of "gun violence" (apparently violence is okay so long as a gun isn't involved).

Do they really need a study for this? Rather than going after the cause of the problem, they should be working to outlaw the ownership of weapons which will take away the chance for crazy people to shoot or stab one another. Guns, knives, and other sharp or blunt objects need to be taken out of the hands of the public to prevent people with violent tendencies or who are mentally unstable gamers from having a way to fatally injure someone else.
The irony of taking guns away from regular people is then the only people who will have guns are the crazy politicians who spend time on studies like this.

More irony: looking for a link between video games and violence when one theory for why crime has been down is because people are too busy playing violent video games to go commit real violence.

To be fair, compared to the dinosaurs that occupy the seats of congress, someone who is even 50 would be considered but a babe in comparison. Multiple generations have been raised up in the time some of these idiots have been in power and because they spent those decades cloistered in their ivory palace they have as much comprehension of life in the modern world as a neanderthal. I suppose some of them are old enough to be neanderthals though, so perhaps I'm just being unfair in that regard.

The irony of taking guns away from regular people is then the only people who will have guns are the crazy politicians who spend time on studies like this.

More irony: looking for a link between video games and violence when one theory for why crime has been down is because people are too busy playing violent video games to go commit real violence.

I'd be willing to say that fewer politicians have been involved in armed robbery or drive by shootings than people who aren't politicans. Then again, if they're freaks with basements and bursting with guns and kitchens filled with knives, they're just as bad as all the other survival and hunting people out there.

How about they commission a study of gamers on the effects of an unorganized, disenfranchised, and ineffectual government?

Back