semprons replacing athlons???

Read the title....my friend told me that and i didnt beleive him. Thought id ask here before i did. I told him that the sempron was just a low end market cpu because they only had high and mid end. He also told me a that a socket 754 sempron would beat any athlon...which i doubt. Let me know what you think.

Well, there are at least 30 different athlon processors, first of all. Some the Semprons beat, others they dont.

None of the A64's are beaten by a stock clocked sempron. Semprons have much less cache and lower clocks. Also, semprons arent going to S939 in the forseeable future. No way you can replace A64 without hitting its new home. On the S754, they kind of are, but Turion64's will also be made for S754. Semprons are replacing Athlon XP's though.

xSyzygy666x said:
He also told me a that a socket 754 sempron would beat any athlon
your friend has 10 speaking points taken away from him.

in all seriousness though, the sempron is now the budget line. sure, it can beat old athlons, but none of the ones released within a similar time :eek:

xSyzygy666x said:
He also told me a that a socket 754 sempron would beat any athlon...which i doubt.

When I first read his post I assumed he meant Athlon XP, he just didn't clarify. If he meant Athlon 64 as well then he and his friend are clearly nuts. However, it all makes sense if he means Athlon XP.

Yeah, just to clarify, Athlon XP's are no longer being made,

The sempron is a budget Chip, and its avalible in socket A, 754, and soon 939. Its a marketing deal, the word "athlon" is to now be only mentioned with full featured 64-bit processors.

well the socket A semprons are very similar to t-bred's. (basically the same specs actually)
the s754 sempron's are just an a64 with 256kb of cache and no 64bitness

(cf)Eclipse said:
well the socket A semprons are very similar to t-bred's. (basically the same specs actually)
the s754 sempron's are just an a64 with 256kb of cache and no 64bitness

64bitness thats a frikken awesome word

What are all these threads with My friends told me this and my friend told me that.

Tell your "Friend" that he is an idiot and to go to GOOGLE and find the real answers.

This is like the 5th "my friend told me" thread that I have read. Everytime the "Friend" has been 100% completly wrong.

Who needs benchmarks when your friend says so :rolleyes:

[simpson's quote] hearsay and conjecture are kinds of evidence... [/simpson's quote]

/edit: Actually, the new 90nm Semprons OC pretty well (easy 2.6GHz or so), so in that sense they are better than most s754 CPUs. I'm not sure in general how much MHz increase you need to compensate for the loss of cache, but it is still a good budget CPU.

depends on wich athlons hes talking about because most socket 754 semprons will beat socket A athlon xp's but they are absolutely no match for any A64

Back