Sempron OC question

meatycheesyboy

Limp Gawd
Hey guys and gals,

I'm new to this forum and new to overclocking in general and have a few questions if you don't mind. My system specs are as follows:

MB: ASUS A7N8X-X
CPU: Sempron 2600+
RAM: 256 MC PC 2700 Samsung 2.5,3,3,7
Vid Card: XFX Geforce 440 mx

From what I've read, Sempron's are all unlocked and my mobo's bios is overclocking friendly.

My proc's standard setting are 333FSB * 11 multiplier at 1.6 VCore to equal 1833MHz.

Since my RAM is slow, I don't think I can increase my FSB at all but I can increase my multiplier for a small overclock. When I increase my multiplier to 12.5, I should then be getting 2075 MHz, right? But when I do it, ASUS Probe and CPU-Z both tell me 1833Mhz still. As a side note, anything above 12.5 and my comp won't even startup.

I ran 3d mark before and after to see if any changes occured but I got the exact same score both times.

Also, just to see if it would take, I lowered my multiplier to 10 which should have underclocked me to 1660MHz, my computer wouldn't even post. Should an underclock work just fine?

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks,
Joshua

Well, if you change your multiplier in the Bios and the clock speed and multi stay the same....I would think that you heard wrong about the whole 'all Semprons are unlocked" thing. Besides, from what (little) I read, Semps don't seem too OC-friendly.

Also, if your clock speeds are the same....your 3dmark score wouldn't change. Especially if you're running '03.....

Well, I decided to forget the whole multiplier thing and set up a 5:4 fsb:ram ratio to see what I could get out of chip that way. I am happy to announce that I am now running at 200x11 for 2200 MHz. I'm new to OC'ing so I don't know if this is a great overclock but hell almost 367 extra MHz seems good to me.

But I would still like to know why my multiplier changes don't show up in CPU-Z or ASUS Probe if anyone knows.

Also, I had to put the VCore up to 1.7 to get to 200 fsb, is this too high? Should I try to lower to say 1.65 and see if I can stil get it to boot?

Also, while I was at it, I OC'ed my crappy vid card to. So, it went from 270/400 to it's current 330/486.

And (keep your fingers crossed) everything seems rock solid stable so far.

Thanks,
Joshua

Back