SpiderWaffle
Limp Gawd
- Joined
- Jul 4, 2007
- Messages
- 243
I have a WD black caviar 1TB that never seemed to work very well from day 1. tried reformatting it before in the past, just tried switching SATA cables, and SATA ports, still acts the same. It writes "okay" but is just horrendous with access times and reading. like under 1MB/s usually.
So there's a few files I want to get off of it before using the 5 year limited warranty. I was able to copy a few of them off, took about 5 minutes for some 100MB files, but most it will say like 23 hours for files sizing ranging from 50-600MB, after about 2-30 minutes it will tell me the data transfer failed.
I know there some programs that help transfer data better than windows does, have options to ignore checks and errors and such, yes the data might not be great afterwards but better than nothing. I think that would be perfect cases like this and used it successfully in the past on dying HDDs.
I just can't remember the name of the software and couldn't find good results for free ones online.
So there's a few files I want to get off of it before using the 5 year limited warranty. I was able to copy a few of them off, took about 5 minutes for some 100MB files, but most it will say like 23 hours for files sizing ranging from 50-600MB, after about 2-30 minutes it will tell me the data transfer failed.
I know there some programs that help transfer data better than windows does, have options to ignore checks and errors and such, yes the data might not be great afterwards but better than nothing. I think that would be perfect cases like this and used it successfully in the past on dying HDDs.
I just can't remember the name of the software and couldn't find good results for free ones online.