Selling windows vista

Lilkicker

Limp Gawd
Can I sell windows vista after I used it on another computer? I already have it removed from my machine. Will there be any problems?

Lilkicker

If you bought a retail copy, then yes you can sell it - although the next person to install it will likely have activation problems (nothing a phone call can't fix).

If it's an OEM copy, however, you're forbidden from passing it on (or even installing it on a machine other than the original).

If you bought a retail copy, then yes you can sell it - although the next person to install it will likely have activation problems (nothing a phone call can't fix).

If it's an OEM copy, however, you're forbidden from passing it on (or even installing it on a machine other than the original).

If he removes it from the unit in question, its no longer tied to anything. All he has to do (within the eula) is to package it with a valid, necessary piece of hardware from the computer it came from.

If he removes it from the unit in question, its no longer tied to anything. All he has to do (within the eula) is to package it with a valid, necessary piece of hardware from the computer it came from.

I was under the definite impression that the EULA specifically states that an OEM license key is (legally, if not technically) tied to the hardware it's sold with. Strictly speaking, I guess, if you bought it with some memory then you can pass it on with the memory, but not on its own. There was a discussion on here somewhere back in the days when everyone was bitching about the ridiculous terms included in the original Vista EULA.

I was under the definite impression that the EULA specifically states that an OEM license key is (legally, if not technically) tied to the hardware it's sold with. Strictly speaking, I guess, if you bought it with some memory then you can pass it on with the memory, but not on its own. There was a discussion on here somewhere back in the days when everyone was bitching about the ridiculous terms included in the original Vista EULA.

LJ, you are right. The only other thing that would come into question is if the OEM was activated or not. I think it is still tied to the original hardware, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

So, you buy said OEM disk from this guy.
You load it up.
Activation fails.
ring,ring: hello microsoft India here.
guy: hello, I need to activate my Vista copy.
india: is this the original computer?? and hardware???
guy: sure. I just reformatted my HDD.
india: ok, are you running this on any other computers.
guy:no way, sir.
india: ok, here's your activation code, have a nice Microsoft day.

I think that's how it going to go for any activation.
I recently got my copy of Vista home premium 64 bit.(mail ordered after buying a retail version of Vista HP 32 bit) I dumped the 32 bit and loaded the 64 bit with the same activation number. I had to call MS india and the conversation was as above except substitute:I upgraded to Vista 64 bit.
No questions asked.

Well, their job isn't to really enforce the EULA, their job is to get you off the line so they can go to the next person.

..as long as it's one license per one computer , uncle Bill isn't really gonna care.

..although he did say at one point that if your going to pirate something ..pirate us!

**Disclaimer**
This individual in no way shape or form condones nor approves of nor thinks lightly of the act/intent/partaking of in way shape or form, Pirating.

Arg! matey ...

OEM Windows stopped being tied to hardware in October of 2005. We're all familiar with people buying a $2.00 ide cable or some piece of non working hardware to comply with those licensing terms. So, no more hardware tie in necessary. That being said, one of the reasons that OEM is so inexpensive is that it's meant to be permanently tied to the hardware it's born on.

So, you want flexible use rights, buy retail box. You want cheap, but less use rights, go OEM.

The real reason for OEM pricing is MS doesnt support the product, the OEM does.

This copy of Vista is the first retail OS I've ever purchased, and was done so because I didnt want to get screwed when I upgraded anything in my computer.
It seems now that MS has relaxed their restrictions as far as reformat and hardware changes.:D

Back