Selling PC... what do I need to save?

DerekMecca

Limp Gawd
I am selling my desktop PC and buying a laptop. I have already saved all of my personal data to a portable hard drive, but I'm guessing there is other stuff floating around on the HD that I might want to keep. Can anyone give me some suggestions on stuff I should save before formatting the drive and selling the computer?

Depends how you used it. Only you know where you saved all your stuff...

Make sure to use something like DBAN to randomly write some data to the drive before selling it though, so nobody can recover it.

Application Data and Local Settings folders (or AppData on Vista/7) have all your program settings in them.

Depends how you used it. Only you know where you saved all your stuff...

^^^This^^^

Would help if you listed what data was on there that you wanted to ensure you got. We weren't watching you use your computer over your shoulder 24 hours a day for the past several years.

I'd get something like Clonezilla or Symantec Ghost to make an image of your hard drive(s). After that just wipe,format and re-install windows. You can also browse through the image file of your old hard drive to extract anything that need or forgot to back up.

Back