Selling original copies?

SuperCell

Limp Gawd
Is this illegal?

It just seems strange that I have to pay $100 for say a Vista installation disk, when I can in fact turn around and sell that same disk to someone for $95, thus actually paying only $5 for a copy of the operating system???

Is this illegal?

It just seems strange that I have to pay $100 for say a Vista installation disk, when I can in fact turn around and sell that same disk to someone for $95, thus actually paying only $5 for a copy of the operating system???
If it's OEM, it's supposed to be tied to a computer once, and never again be used on another computer.

As for retail, I don't know what the legality is behind it if you format the drive. If the OS is activated on one computer and you sell it then it's illegal to use the same code twice.

You can sell the disk but you can't legally use the license on your machine and your buyers.

You can buy installation media without a license. It's more than $5 though, usually $10-$20 for Vista depending on the version. If you're buying an installation DVD because a system didn't come with one, you can often buy it from the manufacturer for a small fee. I would just download the OEM disc TBH.

you cant buy the OS, use the key then sell it to someone else, it wont activate, so no, it wont cost you $5 for an OS.

Here's the scenario, explained in full:

When you purchase Windows you don't 'really' just buy the 'disk'. Instead you pay for a license to use the software. Sure, the price may or may not include provision of an install disk and packaging, but you've paid that component of cost for the convenience of having physical installation media, rather than having to download and burn your own installation media.

It's is 'legal' to sell a retail packaged product Windows retail license, along with the installation media provided with that license. If you sell it you must uninstall it from your own computer and discontinue using it forever after. It is NOT legal to sell it and then continue using it.

It is NOT legal to sell OEM Windows. That was licensed for the computer it was first installed to and activated on, and is not legal to sell or to use on any other machine. (Hell, "Not for resale" is printed on the bloody disk. How hard is it?)

It is NOT legal to sell installation disk alone, even without the install key provided with it. The licensing agreement and the various other conditions/terms/whatever expressly prohibit unauthorised 'redistribution'. The only places it is legal/legitimate to purchase a Windows disk from are Microsoft, an authorised Microsoft distributor, or from an OEM system manufacturer.

Back