selling old XP key

MAXXMODDER

Limp Gawd
I got an OEM copy of XP home installed on my asus laptop before I bought it. it's regestered and all that good stuff so it's a legit copy. now I was able to get a killer deal on XP pro through my school so I'm going to upgrade. I want to know if I can sell my old OEM copy of XP home (on ebay for example) without any problems since I already regestered that key? thanks!

Can you sell it and have someone buy it and use it and never have a problem as long as you never try to use it ever again? YES

Is it legal? NO

I'd take the middle ground and use it for a second machine at the house. Keep it in your control in case you ever sell your laptop off to someone with its XP Home license, but keep your copy of XP Pro. You'd be screwing that future customer. If you do sell it you dirty rotten bastard ( :p ) then make sure the person understands what exactly they are getting.

I believe it's technically not legal especially because it's an OEM version. I'd keep it too, for a second machine, like OldPueblo suggested.

djnes said:
I believe it's technically not legal especially because it's an OEM version. I'd keep it too, for a second machine, like OldPueblo suggested.

djnes is correct, since it is an OEM copy, it is *legally* tied to the first computer it is installed on. It is not transferable to another party for use on a different machine.

In fact, your going to have a bigger problem with this here in just a little bit as microsoft is cracking down on OEM keys that are being used on other computers.

cyr0n_k0r said:
In fact, your going to have a bigger problem with this here in just a little bit as microsoft is cracking down on OEM keys that are being used on other computers.

Currently that will only apply to the top 20 OEMs, at the moment, if you buy OEM software from Newegg or such, it does not apply. However I believe MS will be making that apply to all OEMs in the near future.

SJConsultant said:
since it is an OEM copy, it is *legally* tied to the first computer it is installed on.

At least that's what Microsoft says. Don't think it's ever been challenged in court so whether or not it's really legal is up in the air...

ashmedai said:
At least that's what Microsoft says. Don't think it's ever been challenged in court so whether or not it's really legal is up in the air...

This is true. I for one would not want to be the person testing it in court. I make a great living, but I don't want to pay for my lawyer's kids and grandkids to to go college ;)

Until proven otherwise in court it is illegal.

Back