Sell Your Used MP3s For Cash Online!

HardOCP News

[H] News
Yes, you read that right, there is a new company out there that will allow you to upload your MP3s and sell them. How in the world can this guy hope to have a business selling used MP3 when people can just make as many copies as they like? Hit the link for the explanation. I have a feeling this is gonna end really, really bad.

Obviously, MP3s are very easy to duplicate...It's very difficult to tell the difference between a so-called new copy and a so-called old copy...I can buy a CD and I can rip it and that behavior has basically been endorsed by the music industry. I can resell that CD on Amazon. The industry doesn't have a way to monetize physical goods being traded on the secondary market. The first-sale doctrine protects that right. In the physical world consumers have the right to resell their property and copyright owners can't do anything about that."

Here's the section from their Terms of Use dealing with selling MP3s:(Ripped from the link)
Selling Used Published Items. The bopaboo Service makes it possible for You to sell Used Published Items owned by You. If You sell any Used Published Item, you represent and warrant to the purchaser that your copy of the Used Published Item is a digital copy of the original work that You purchased directly from the applicable publisher or agent of the publisher or from another person who was authorized to sell that copy to You and that You have not previously sold any copies of such work. You further represent and warrant to the purchaser and to bopaboo that, upon the completion of such sale, You will delete any remaining copies of the Used Published Item that may exist in your possession, custody or control. You agree that any transaction you make is final and you agree to indemnify and defend bopaboo against any and all claims arising out of any transaction in which you are the seller as provided in Section 10 ("Indemnification") of this Agreement.

So, does that mean that someone could download massive amounts of songs via bittorrent and then sell them to this company?

Can someone please tell me what law explicitly forbids selling music you legally purchased?

ackbar.jpg

The site relies too much upon seller honesty and integrity. I forsee a major poop + fan incident waiting for someone to hit the power switch, if it hasn't already happened.

Imma gonna sell my 500GB worth of MP3!!!!!!

WOOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I allways knew this day would come.

Cheers!

Next we can have a service where you can sell used digital copies of movies, video games, software, images, and anything else someone can think of. WOO HOO! Just check the box that proves you're legit and it's good to go.

This is great! This is wonderful! Unless. . . Admiral Ackbar is right. Could Admiral Ackbar be right? OMG! Admiral Ackbar is RIGHT! Why could I not see it before!

trap_ackbar.jpg

lol if this site opens I'm gonna be a millionaire!!!

Wait.. what?

So.. Everyone could sell their whole MP3 libraries? Err- I mean, get money for the original uploaded copies?

So.. I can rip all my CDs, get money for the MP3s, then sell the CDs to get more money?
Sweet! :D

I'm guessing they'll want only 1 copy of each track, so they'll have every song in the world and only pay $0.25 for each track (once). Sounds pretty smart to me..

But it can't be a trap, he said he is meeting with the RIAA and they are really into this. Why would they be into it if it is a trap. It isn't like they can use this knowledge again the people. What good is the name and address of people who upload possible illegal songs going to be to the RIAA?

Let's look at something else that's happening here.

People are screaming against DRM because it infringes upon their right of reselling.

You have a chance to resell MP3s...

And now we're screaming it's a trap.

The arguments being made of why one should be suspicious of this also explain exactly why one shouldn't expect to ever resell a digital download they've purchased. It's gotta cut both ways, folks.

You want to be able to resell something digital? Buy it in a physical format and don't ever register it.

lol, of course you can "meet with the RIAA".... WHEN YOU ARE THE RIAA!!!

run!

yeah lol, seems like a way for the RIAA to make sure they get their money... youd be like"ah yea, im rich!" and then out of nowhere the RIAA is knockin and says, "yeah uh, we have record of all this music you sold.... and now you owe us 50x as much..."

and now your fukd!....

Nobody can point me to a law that makes this illegal?

probably because there isn't one. Technically a person has the right to re-sell used property they've purchased. But that's not going to stop riaa from filing a suit against you. If you don't have a problem paying lawyer & court costs to prove the point when they come knocking, have at it. Let us know how it goes.

I'd say the RIAA might just use it as an excuse to double the prices of cds. After all, they're selling you the physical cd AND the right to make a single mp3 copy. $18 for cd + $0.99 per track for the mp3s.

What I want to know is if you sell your mp3s to this site, and then sell you cd, how does the cd buyer know whether or not he was actually sold the digital rights or if they'd already been "used"?
It's the splitting of the cds and digital copies that will make this fail.

And since the RIAA would dismiss this out of hand, I agree with others when I say, "It's a TRAP!!".

Back