• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Sell My 5870 for

dizolit

Limp Gawd
Joined
Feb 13, 2010
Messages
222
So apparently, my card is fetching $300ish on eBay right now due to the whole bitcoin thing. I bought it for $340 after Bing cashback over a year ago. I figure it is a good time to upgrade for almost free :D.

One of the main reasons why I want to upgrade is because I haven't been able to update my drivers past 10.3b due to DP monitor (eyefinity set up, early dell/bizzlink dual-link dp->dvi adapters $100) going to sleep within a few minutes. A lot of people with my adapter/video card combination (consequence of being an early adopter) have the same problem and there has never been a solution that I could find other than to stick with 10.3b drivers. For this reason, I was thinking of going with a pair of Nvidia cards. On the other hand, I've read the newer/cheaper single-link adapters work very well and have no issues.

Right now I am thinking of the following options:
-SLI Nvidia 460 1gb
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ction-_-cables-_-na-_-na&Item=N82E16814130566 + http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-...WLB4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1307615374&sr=8-1
-Crossfire 2 6860 1gb
http://www.amazon.com/Sapphire-DL-D...GIUK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1307615201&sr=8-1
-Crossfire 2 6950 2gb flashed to 6970
http://www.amazon.com/Sapphire-DL-D...6RY0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1307614518&sr=8-1

ATI options would involve buying a new adapter: http://www.amazon.com/Sapphire-akti...ZBH6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1307615235&sr=8-2

With the 1st and 2nd options, I would be paying very little if any at all extra to upgrade. With the 2nd and 3rd option, I'd be getting a beastly performance upgrade that could possibly handle BF3 very well (based off the news that the BF3 vids so far have used a single 580). On top of that, I could sell the copies of dirt 3 to make it even cheaper. The 3rd option would cost $200-250ish.

Should I keep my 5870, or upgrade to one of these options? If so, which?
 
Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I don't think those Sapphire cards can be flashed for anything other than removing the overclock limits. If I remember correctly, the newer 6950 -2Rs are very definitely non-reference and most likely with laser cut GPUs that deny access to the extra shader cores.
 
How can you determine if the 6950 is unlockable or not? All I can find is it if it is a rev 1 w/ ref cooler it is most likely unlockable.

Would any of these be unlockable?
http://www.amazon.com/MSI-DisplayPo...R1WO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1307665392&sr=8-2
http://www.amazon.com/VisionTek-Rad...TBW8/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1307665392&sr=8-4
http://www.amazon.com/HIS-Radeon-25...TS/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1307665392&sr=8-11

Upon reading reviews it says the visontek ones that are being shipped out don't have bios switches and can't be flashed.

If not, should I just go with one of the other options and wait for a 7000/600 series card?
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
The HIS is not a reference, so probably not.

The MSI Twin Frozr II is iffy. The first few Twin Frozr III's on the market apparently could and MSI even put out a how to guide. However, later Mk III's could not be unlocked and MSI withdrew guide and apologized.

Trading up now or waiting 3-9 months is not something I can advise on.
 
Just to let you know my twin froze ii unlocked just fine. I'm getting a twin frozr iii tomorrow and ill try to unlock that too
 
Back
Top