Self hosted photo gallery with contributors and comments

Sayth

Gawd
Hey all,

A friend of mine just had a child. They have family that live far away. He wants to share photos with family who don't have Facebook, but in a similar fashion with passwords, contributors and comments.

I'm looking at some wordpress plugins like Envira, but have yet to find one that meets all the criterial:

• Self hosted (no sending photos to other servers)
  • Allow multiple contributors (grandma, Grandpa, Aunts, Uncles, etc...)
  • Allows comments on the photos
  • Password protected with different passwords for different users
  • Doesn't require "Google" or "Facebook" or other logins. Can be generated by me or by them would be fine
  • Apache, PHP, MySQL, etc are all fine to work with

I think that's all. I appreciate any help!

I'm really enjoying koken. I think there is a paid addon to enable passwords, and not sure about different contributor accounts. Pretty sure you can use disqus for comments. Otherwise, great interface and minimilastic, modern presentation and free / self-hosted.

So I tried a couple wordpress plugins like WP Photo Album plus and Nextgen, but they weren't very attractive or didn't have the front-end upload I was looking for.

Koken looks nicer as a media manager, except one thing. I have it installed on my Ubuntu 14 server to test it, but I can't get the images to load. I'm getting the problem where the thumbnail sits spinning after upload. The photos never load. I tried ImageMagick, GraphicsMagick, Imagick and GD. All do the same thing.

Any ideas?

Decided to go with Piwigo with the "Community" plugin. Pretty easy. Works well and has a decent mobile version. Hope this helps anyone else who may have the same requirement.

Thanks!

Back