Self-Driving Uber Spotted In Pittsburgh

They should let them deliver pizza's before they start delivering people.

We are still a good 10-15 years away from this becoming ready for prime time. Those sensors alone are huge and two people in the car.....nah.

They are anticipating 5 years until they have a Volvo fleet fully autonomous if I remember correctly. There will be some regulatory hurdles and insurance aspects etc but the tech is there. Google and Tesla are well on their way to full autonomy. A main issue is mapping, it needs to be extensive. Considering there are braking systems beyond human reaction time, pressure control and just all around better capability of avoiding an accident, this will all be a common thing for us soon enough. Renting a Uber or Lyft, sharing a car rather than owning. Ford is also working on auto-pilot systems but I do not know if they plan for full autonomy.

We are still a good 10-15 years away from this becoming ready for prime time. Those sensors alone are huge and two people in the car.....nah.

I'll bet your ass $10.00 it'll be mainstream in less than 5.

I know that.... I just meant the cars. Baby steps.

Cars are too big for automated car delivery to beat out flying drones or mini rolling drones when it comes to pizzas. When the automation tech exists it won't be fitted to cars. Pizzas don't require a 2 tonne delivery vehicle.

Cars are too big for automated car delivery to beat out flying drones or mini rolling drones when it comes to pizzas. When the automation tech exists it won't be fitted to cars. Pizzas don't require a 2 tonne delivery vehicle.
It gets pretty windy here. I don't see a puny drone handling 30+ MPH gusts too well loaded with 3 cheesy specials. Or when it is raining and gusty. Car has no issue.

I'll bet your ass $10.00 it'll be mainstream in less than 5.

Nah... Mainstream might be too aggressive a word.

Anyone know how much these cost? I just saw pricing on industrial self driving units and it was quite ridiculous.

Wait till winter when after a heavy snowfall, the road doesn't look like a road any more.

Back