Self-Driving Uber Running A Red Light

I would like to specify as generally disinterested in uber but genuinely interested in never seeing any news about them again.
Maybe put tags on the articles and allow users to filter? I'm trying to be constructive here.

Or just don't click on the post with Uber in the title?

I don't know, just spit balling here.

Constructive? You're having a moan about Uber articles. FFS, just scroll past it if an article doesn't interest you.

Steve, you didn't need to justify the post to this guy. As an editor of a news site you reserve the right to post whatever the hell you like. If 1 out of 100 people don't like it, tough titty. They can move along.

Can't please all the people all the time.

I don't give a shit about Uber either, but I read all of the posts you make anyway, because I like to be informed.
So thank you, Steve.

So if the uber self driving software hands control over to the human 2 feet before the intersection going 30mph, that's human error, right?
That's not the way it works. There are several demo videos on youtube on how control is handed back.

You seem more irritated that your wrong assumptions, basically about everything, aren't being validated by any scrutiny into the problems. lol

Really dude? Really? That's what you think of us because we post tech news? When a self-driving car (Uber-Google-Tesla etc.) runs a red light / drives off a cliff / runs over pedestrian etc. etc. it's tech news. It's not our fault when a tech company is in the news every week (sometimes good, sometimes bad). This is the stuff people want to read about. I am sorry that upsets you enough to make rude comments about us and imply that we have "quotas" but that's just the way it is.

C'mon Steve. We all know we come for the unbiased political discourse among members of the forum whenever it can be triggered! Tech, schmech. It's not like Uber is a tech company revolutionizing how urban areas see transportation...

There are legal implications. If it's a red light camera that catches them, then its the registered owner that gets the ticket (because lack of proof keeps it from being a criminal case, thus a civil offense).

If a police officer catches them, then it's the driver (since there is proof and it's now a criminal case). So who is the driver? The owner of the car, or the person who programmed the decision? I would say, if you were to mimick a human, then it's whoever made the decision to drive through the redlight. Gonna issue traffic court appearances to programmers not even in the same county (or country possibly)?

Not so sure about this.

I remember the days when employees who were driving company vehicles and caught speeding earned their employer the ticket. Perhaps it different by State.

It's also possible that this i s no longer the case anymore and that all States have moved away from such a practice.

Not so sure about this.

I remember the days when employees who were driving company vehicles and caught speeding earned their employer the ticket. Perhaps it different by State.

It's also possible that this i s no longer the case anymore and that all States have moved away from such a practice.

That's a good point. I didn't think about it that way, I thought about it as uber drivers being independent people to get around taxi laws.....but that makes me wonder how the self driving cars will be classified. Uber can't get around the independent driver thing with this.

There are a few crosswalk lights like that in downtown Dallas and I can admit, I've ran them more than a couple of times by accident. Those damn lights are put on the sidewalks for crying out loud and can easily be obscured if a car is next to you in just the right spot. Terrible placement.

Oh yeah, Uber sucks! :)

Oh please, do you know what us Apple users have been going through for years......look how long I have been here!
You have been here longer, but still.
In fairness, Apple deserved shit for that I'm a Mac campaign, which had commercials filled with FUD.

It's only a legitimate tech fail if it was the automation system that ran a red light.
Can you tell that from the video? I can't.

Uber is a taxi company. Very recently in the past 2-3 weeks they've made the news about having driverless cars. Before that, not so much.

One thing I noticed was that it ran the red light with the break lights on.

They probably need to hire some drivers that compete in ESPORTS to have the reaction time necessary to stop in time when the car fails to do so. ;) :) :)

Skills like this.

That looks like a bot to me. Maybe have the esport bot makers create bots to drive the cars when the autopilots refuse.

I was thinking of a scenario on an unsigned intersection where a person is standing on the corner but not trying to cross. What does the car do? Courteous drivers stop and let a person like that cross but how will the car realise that the person is just waiting there, not wanting to cross? Does it have a time limit? What if the person is blind and just needs a lot of time to prepare and doesn't fit into the time slot? What if you put a mannequin there? Imagine the prank possibilities ;)

Skynet knows. Don't worry.

I got $5 that says Uber blames this incident on the driver. I wonder what the excuses will be when the cars are eventually unmanned? Software glitch? BSOD? Sensor malfunction?
yea they claimed that car was not on the self driving program and that the self driving program can't fail like this because they require a live driver to watch the system....

Lets get serious for a minute.. you have a tech blog not a billion dollar software company.. you don't have 5$ to bet ;-P

Back