We have a small network of half a dozen PCs. What I want to do is restrict access on two of these machines to approved web sites only (white list). Is there a cost effective way to do this for a business with no specific IT budget?
I have tried net filtering software and firewalls in the past, but they seem really finicky about what they will let through and tend to block windows update.
Things I have tried that didn't work:
A consumer Netgear router blocks globally and not by selected PC. It also fails to block HTTPS sites like Facebook.
Norton Online Family (an online web filter) lets undesirable websites through even though I chose to block all categories and rely on a white list.
I can't use OpenDNS as I have seen their forum moderators mention there are latency issues with users in New Zealand.
I have tried net filtering software and firewalls in the past, but they seem really finicky about what they will let through and tend to block windows update.
Things I have tried that didn't work:
A consumer Netgear router blocks globally and not by selected PC. It also fails to block HTTPS sites like Facebook.
Norton Online Family (an online web filter) lets undesirable websites through even though I chose to block all categories and rely on a white list.
I can't use OpenDNS as I have seen their forum moderators mention there are latency issues with users in New Zealand.