Selective VPN?

Kris

Gawd
When I work from home, I connect to our network via VPN. This works great, however; everything goes through the VPN so if I have to download a large file or something that requires a lot of bandwidth, my top speeds goes from about 800KBps to 20KBps which... sucks.

Is there a way to specify certain applications to use the VPN and all others to not use it? Or is there a better way to approach this?

Thanks

Kris said:
Is there a way to specify certain applications to use the VPN and all others to not use it? Or is there a better way to approach this?

Ask the network admins at your work about the possiblity. The VPN can be setup to allow you to use your home connection while VPN'ed, but it is a security risk to do so.

Malk-a-mite said:
Ask the network admins at your work about the possiblity. The VPN can be setup to allow you to use your home connection while VPN'ed, but it is a security risk to do so.
Will do, though I am curious as to why it would be considered a security risk.

I took classes for Cisco so I'm fairly knowledgable about some networking stuff but I never really looked into VPN.

Kris said:
Will do, though I am curious as to why it would be considered a security risk.

It's called "split tunneling"; the security risk is that a compromised machine could act as a gateway between the internet and your network

Back