Selective paint marker layer orange peel

sn0wblind

n00b
So, I’m a little frustrated as I can’t figure out the best course of action and wanted to see if anyone had advice before I do anything stupid out of impatience.

In short, I’m getting bad orange peel on just 1 paint layer which is acrylic marker. Not sure what caused it, any how to remove it, and if I have to redo the whole thing (sigh) how I can prevent it.

I painted my case front and 2 side panels. I did a 2 primer coats, 3 base coats, and then did designs on top of the base using Acrylic black markers. When I did the clear, all the base coat came out perfectly fine, however, every single inch of the black marker drawing is badly orange peeled. Usually I know the best course of action is to try and fine grit sand the orange peel down, but when it only happens on the marker ink, should I assume that won’t work?

Paint:
Krylon colormaster primer, mat
Krylon colormaster paint, gloss (acrylic)
MTN water-based markers, mat (acrylic)
Krylon colormaster clear, gloss (acrylic)

For example, I decided to sacrifice one side panel to try and fix it. I sanded it using 1000 grit slowly, and it didn’t seem like the orange peel was coming off the black. So I kept at it, slowly wiping it off to see. It seemed everything was getting duller, but the black still had shiny ‘dots’ all over it? Eventually the paint started removing and yet the black still had shiny bits to it. This is where I got confused. I thought the clear may have bonded with the marker somehow, despite leaving the marker to dry for 48 hours before applying clear. I did a test today on some scrap metal, and the marker got orange peel after a 2 hour dry time as well.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

rsz_orange_peel-min.jpg

Krylon colormaster primer, mat
Krylon colormaster paint, gloss (acrylic)
MTN water-based markers, mat (acrylic)
Krylon colormaster clear, gloss (acrylic)
that's your prob, mixing different brands. they probably don't have the same chemical make-up so its reacting weird. if you can find another suitable application method us all krylon.

that's your prob, mixing different brands. they probably don't have the same chemical make-up so its reacting weird. if you can find another suitable application method us all krylon.

Was thinking that as well, but figured it would have had a reaction before the clear.
Unfortunately markers are quite limited in brands; mostly graf art paints (which are very dry for case painting I find).

ive seen that happen before where its fine until clear is applied then the sandwich of slightly different paints cause it. how are your brush skills?

You used a solvent based clear over a water based paint, you answered your own question.

Back