Selecting the Right GTX 1080

quanta15

n00b
So I'm looking to upgrade my GTX770 since I recently obtained a 4K display, and the GTX 1080 is what I've decided to go with. Fortunately, and unfortunately, there are a ton of them to select from. I'm interested in something quiet, although my Antec P180 case does a decent job at mitigating noise, so it doesn't have to be so quiet that you can hear a mouse fart. I'd also like something with a mild overclock. I'm not looking for anything extreme (because I'd like it to work well for years to come), but a little higher than stock would be nice. Which card would you guys recommend?

MSI Gaming seconded. Those have very strong coolers that shut the fans off at 60C and under, very quiet cards.

The STRIX also shuts fans off at 60 C. (Or, in my case, barely ever turn on.)

Don't the fans on all the newer Nvidia cards shut off when not gaming? I thought they did

Don't the fans on all the newer Nvidia cards shut off when not gaming? I thought they did

evga ftw doesn't, it has dual bios, one is like above cards, fan off until 60 degrees

then move the switch and it runs fans constantly even at idle about 30% and goes
higher with heat... plus has small extra oc...

Another vote for the Strix OC. I have two and love the card. I'd use something other than the Asus ROG tuning software, but they've been fantastic investments.

Went from a 1080 FE to SLI to FE with Hybrid cooler to now a single Asus STRIX 1080 OC love it, recommended it. My buddy has the MSI GAMING X 1080 sweet card and if I had to do it again I'd pick the Asus 1080 STRIX still.

My STRIX 1080 OC Pros:
Runs quiet
Cool, never saw it pass 71c but hovers closer to 64-65c while gaming
No coil whine
Out of the box boost is 2050MHz
RGB Lighting match any build theme
Backplate
Ram will do 11k np

Cons:
Can only add +52 on the the core which nets me about 2100 to 2126ish
Tiny sag but expectedas the card is long, heavy.

Last edited:
I also will recommend the Asus Strix, but the fans can be loud if they ever ramp up. I thought mine was broken for a bit when I had it set to turn the fans off at idle, so every few seconds they would spin up and then shut off when under small load, when under heavy load it is no issue because the fans kick on and stay on, no complaints once I understood what was going on, I just turn off the 0%fan when i game. I am very curious about the gigabyte gtx1080. the cooler is a little bit bigger and it has bigger fans. the [H] review gave it gold.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
The only 'right' 1080 is the one that ends with Ti.
Otherwise I agree with everyone else: ASUS or MSI.

So I'm looking to upgrade my GTX770 since I recently obtained a 4K display, and the GTX 1080 is what I've decided to go with. Fortunately, and unfortunately, there are a ton of them to select from. I'm interested in something quiet, although my Antec P180 case does a decent job at mitigating noise, so it doesn't have to be so quiet that you can hear a mouse fart. I'd also like something with a mild overclock. I'm not looking for anything extreme (because I'd like it to work well for years to come), but a little higher than stock would be nice. Which card would you guys recommend?

I like MSI Gaming level type of cards on Nvidia and are my choice usually.
However and this could be important down the line.
The only 2 cards that so far have unlocked BIOS to go above 1.09V is the Asus Strix 1080 and also Galax HoF 1080, but these may not be completely friendly and will usually be loud if used on air cooling; really designed for upping the spec-performance to water or LN2.
Those BIOS will do nothing on other cards as it is not designed for them, you may gain an extra 30MHz but impact the performance envelope in a subtly less desirable way when tying to use it; not a good idea as well because components-config are not necessarily exactly the same.
If you never intend to upgrade-mod the card then it may be academic to buy such expensive models as the Strix and HoF 1080s.
Cheers

Last edited:
Buy the cheapest one is IMO the best strategy. Most binned Pascals will make 2.1k with some tweaking, and non binned ones will probably end up around 1950-2k mark. There's not really a huge difference in core clock to justify the higher end SKUs, IMO. Besides, silicon lottery and all that.

Buy the cheapest one is IMO the best strategy. Most binned Pascals will make 2.1k with some tweaking, and non binned ones will probably end up around 1950-2k mark. There's not really a huge difference in core clock to justify the higher end SKUs, IMO. Besides, silicon lottery and all that.

I concur

Back