• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Selecting Graphics for new Office PC

nowwhatnapster

Limp Gawd
2FA
Joined
Aug 9, 2009
Messages
406
Here at work one of our old IBM PC's is acting up. I've been planning on upgrading, but never really had a good excuse. So now that I have one, I am deliberating the graphics for the new PC.

It will be running XP Pro due to software we use. After we upgrade that software we will switch to Win 7 Pro. Which is why I am concerned about what graphics solution I am picking. I would like my co-workers to be able to use the Aero theme and all the pretty things that go with it. I am not well versed in low end graphics solutions. (I'm usually interested in the high end stuff)

My options for the PC I am building are:
Intel GMA 4500 Integrated Graphics
Intel ADD2 DVI-D Adapter Low Profile(with HDCP) [add $20.00]
NVIDIA GeForce G100 256M Low Profile (DVI-I to VGA Dongle) [add $80.00]
ATI Radeon HD3470 256MLow Profile (VGA+DisplayPort+TV-Out) [add $85.00]

Will the GMA 4500 handle the Aero theme in windows 7?
If it doesn't, which of the options would be my best bet?

All im really looking to accomplish are smooth windows 7 operations with Aero theme on. We wont be watching HD videos, playing TF2, or folding proteins.
 
the GMA4500 is more than enough to run Aero smoothly, even at high resolutions.
 
But you might want to purchase the DVI adapter for $20 more if you want digital output. The default on most of these cheapass computers is no DVI port, because each port means they have to pay a fee to Silicon Image.

You can go with analog, but anything about 1280x1024 may not look so great.
 
Back
Top