Selecting a programmer

jmitchy

n00b
I'm about to start a search for a programmer (and designer) for a web site that will be more or less a clone of clubtickets.com.

Programming is all greek to me, so I'm not sure what skills to look for in a programmer. Would anyone be so kind as to look at the clubtickets.com web site and tell me what skills and languages my programmer should be fluent in (HTML, XML, Flash, etc..)?

Thanks in advance!

I'm about to start a search for a programmer (and designer) for a web site that will be more or less a clone of clubtickets.com.

Programming is all greek to me, so I'm not sure what skills to look for in a programmer. Would anyone be so kind as to look at the clubtickets.com web site and tell me what skills and languages my programmer should be fluent in (HTML, XML, Flash, etc..)?

Thanks in advance!

Look for somebody with a portfolio. You're in business if they can show you previous work. The best programmer(s) you can get are the ones who will simply take your requirements and use the appropriate technologies to create the site based on your needs.

I agree with the prior poster. Additionally, since you do not have the background in programming, you need some proxy to be able to judge good vs. mediocre programmers.

In addition to their portfolio, look at their attention to detail. Are they organized, do they communicate well to people who are not programmers. How are they on time estimates. When interviewing, give the candidates a sample project and ask them to verbally explain how they would accomplish the task (web site) for you. Look for the thought process, attention to detail, and communication ability to describe the whole process (at a high level) to you. If they jump immediately into details, they usually aren't that good at design. Look for someone that can articulate a high-level overview on how to get something accomplished from start to finish, and that they have a good grasp on the finished the product (the goal).

If they try to dazzel you with words, or talk above you, then skip them. Programmers that can bridge the gap between the tech world and the domain of the clients are usually pretty good.

Back