Selectible Output Control FCC filing

MaxBurn

[H]ard|Gawd
2FA
Joined
Nov 14, 2004
Messages
1,134
http://www.publicknowledge.org/action/say-no-to-soc

I came across this and obviously I have a strong opinion because it limits what I can do with HTPC but I can't help but think how is this going to protect anything better than say HDCP which we already had to purchase new TV's and other hardware to work with it?

I don't think they have HDCP on cable output now but I don't see a reason why they can't, how is this better and why do I need to spend more money on equipment to watch the same thing?
 
It's the attempt close the "analog" hole. Obviously not just limited to cable boxes. Basically like you read here about people posting about using an HD-PVR to record encrypted cable broadcasts... they don't want you doing that but they don't have much control over it. If, however, they can force everyone to use HDMI, then it's not an issue. If you've read through the "managed copy" plan for BluRay, it's the same idea. They are doing everything they can to get people to abandon component output. It most certainly would protect broadcasts better.

The "supposed" benefit of allowing them to do it, is that they would "supposedly" be more willing to do things like air movies that are still in theaters to your home (because you couldn't copy them like you can with component outputs). Would they? Who knows...

But it's a huge mess in that it would be fucking with people who still use component cables... and the vast vast majority of people don't do so in order to pirate.
 
interesting, rhouck.

i use component for my hdpvr. honestly i would be thrilled to go hdmi as the only output, but they MUST give us an option to do it with our pc's. hdcp protection doesnt scare me, there are gadgets to take care of that stuff.... which is what i would have used if the hdpvr wasnt the cheaper solution.
 
you can use an hdfury2 to keep using the HD-PVR.

Basically if you really want to get around HDMI you still can
 
Back
Top