Selaco

Lateralus

More [H]uman than Human
Selaco is an exciting shooter running on a highly customized GZDoom engine, and it kicks freaking ass.

Some retro shooters have been influenced by Blood or Quake, others from Goldeneye 007, etc.

This one draws inspiration from F.E.A.R. and it is a welcome addition to the scene. It's highly polished and there's lots more to come.

It's very, very good and just released today into early access:

View: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1592280/Selaco/

Anyone who played the demo before it was delisted (but preserved!) has likely been looking forward to the day of release. But don't take it from me:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqX9OLeK4RY

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qatHGKV0opk

(Bonus FPS Documentary teaser with John Romero and Gman at the end)

Set in the Right direction Graphics look like Cell Shaded Grind House like Duke Nukem 97. Most First Person Shooter games have that shiny look to them which just looks bad all around.

Visually it looks awful. It's like a cross between Duke Nukem 3D and Quake I in terms of quality. Frankly, it doesn't really exceed either which is pathetic for this day and age.

Graphics aren't everything, I get that but this type of game just looks low effort all around.

Visually it looks awful. It's like a cross between Duke Nukem 3D and Quake I in terms of quality. Frankly, it doesn't really exceed either which is pathetic for this day and age.

Graphics aren't everything, I get that but this type of game just looks low effort all around.

Did we watch the same thing because it looks super polished

It looks like it crushed the exact style it went for

Game looks good, buy I'm sick of the 12 FPS, non-interpolated animations on all the models thing that these games like this and Prodeus do. It makes these games less pleasant to play. The animations should be smooth like in Ion Fury.

Yeah, that was a really tone deaf take, and one that shows a lot of ignorance towards the entire indie/retro FPS community that's been undergoing a surge in popularity since about 2018 or so. He's made similar comments about other games like this and while I understand that they won't be for everyone, I'm not sure why anyone with that sort of preexisting bias would want to chime in at all as one is clearly missing the point or at the very least have different tastes than the very active gamer and dev community behind these.

It's actually really impressive what they were able to pull off here, but most of all it's fun and has so much more passion poured into it than some of the vapid and soulless content we've been getting from a lot of the AAA publishers who seem to constantly misstep and mis-manage with $70 games that don't respect their audience. But hey, they tend to have pretty graphics.

Game looks good, buy I'm sick of the 12 FPS, non-interpolated animations on all the models thing that these games like this and Prodeus do. It makes these games less pleasant to play. The animations should be smooth like in Ion Fury.
I ended up enjoying Prodeus a lot more than I thought I would. I haven't finished it yet, but most of these boom shoots end up having a certain "feel" that reminds you of some of their predecessors. I thought that while others have taken influences from Duke 3D, Blood, etc. that Prodeus drew a lot from something like DooM (2016) with its suuuuper punchy and satisfying weapons, chonky and hard-hitting sound design, pumping soundtrack, level design, etc.

I was late picking it up compared to some of its contemporaries but man, what satisfying gameplay when you just want to explode some baddies. The music and levels rock, too. Mmmm...DUSK.

All that to say that certain devs really do a better job than others when it comes to nailing the different aspects of this stuff. I thought Prodeus did an exemplary job with the weapon feel, alt-fire modes, and general combat.

I'm super tired of "retro" looks in so many games today....

yea that low FPS animations is also really annoying.
It seems that's all the indie scene can produce. It doesn't require the same budget or effort to create those kinds of dated visuals. Despite these game developers having "passion" or whatever, I've never seen or played one that did anything that hadn't been done by AAA studios over a decade ago. What you typically end up with are games that have some more modern design elements fused with the basic design and gameplay of yesteryear's games. I've tried a few of these low budget indie type titles over the years and I can't recall ever feeling like I got my money's worth out of them, regardless of their pricing.

I'm super tired of "retro" looks in so many games today....

yea that low FPS animations is also really annoying.
I wish we could combine the mechanics of the old games with graphics of the new for once. It's even more annoying when you have a game like Boltgun that plays like Doom 2016 but tries to look like an old 2.5D game.

Two games I don't mind the retro aesthetic because they're polished and actually play like a "boomer shooter:"

Ion Fury because it is literally a modern and extremely polished Build Engine game inspired by the Duke Nukem universe.
DUSK because it is a Quake clone that is better in every way.

Honorable mention to HROT for its audaciousness to run on a fully custom engine written in Pascal, of all things, and nailing the feeling of playing early Slav jank like Chasm: The Rift.

I don't think it low FPS it's just skip animations made to look more structured or ridged. With like 2D sprites skipping a sequence.

I have a bit of a mixed opinion on Selaco at this point. They went a bit over the top with the particle/fog/smoke effects. I had to turn them down. There's nothing more annoying than something blowing up creating a cloud between you and the enemies that you can't see through but they certainly can. Also I'm on one of the higher difficulties but good lord the engineers w/ shotgun are just insane. As mentioned already the enemy movement animation is pretty terrible.

Still have a bunch more to play before rendering my final verdict but those were just some first impressions.

I'm a little baffled they picked GzDoom instead of a more modern engine, since I assume they needed massive rewrites anyway to facilitate some of the stuff they do.

I'm not even sure it can make the same Ion Fury argument where they wanted that Build engine feel. I think that really comes through on Ion Fury, but you basically can't tell this thing is grinding along somehow in the Doom engine.

I don't think it low FPS it's just skip animations made to look more structured or ridged. With like 2D sprites skipping a sequence.

It's definitely just an art direction choice. The sprites all have actual 3D models for their reference. They could probably have it be any arbitrary number they want.

I'm a little baffled they picked GzDoom instead of a more modern engine, since I assume they needed massive rewrites anyway to facilitate some of the stuff they do.

I'm not even sure it can make the same Ion Fury argument where they wanted that Build engine feel. I think that really comes through on Ion Fury, but you basically can't tell this thing is grinding along somehow in the Doom engine.

It's definitely just an art direction choice. The sprites all have actual 3D models for their reference. They could probably have it be any arbitrary number they want.
A Build Engine port like EDuke32 that Ion Fury used certainly seems like it would have been more appropriate for this type of game. I have to wonder if the scripting that was added to ZDoom is what makes some of the gameplay elements possible. I don't think there is a Build Engine port that is that advanced, though I may be wrong.

More reviews rolling in.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyQ9LBvxf1I

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DE67dA-ZFOw

View: https://youtu.be/-RY212ly4NU?si=LmkoFyqrRqDYVwWk

And a patch:

Selaco v0.83a Patchnotes - Balance, Quality of Life, and bug fixes

Captains,

The first ever Selaco patch is now live!

This patch focuses entirely on balance changes and bug fixes. We always intended for Selaco to be difficult, that will always the case, but we've taken some steps to make things more fair. Especially on lower difficulty modes which are meant to be more accessible.

With the launch behind us, we are going to take it easy for a moment to get our bearings back. Once our little break time is over, we start working on the
first major content patch

that will arrive later this Summer.

Thanks for the feedback everyone! Keep it coming.

Please bare in mind that most Balance Changes will only be applied on a brand new save!

BALANCE
Armor
  • Increased Player Armor durability by 20%, armor will now protect you for a fair bit longer.
UC-36 Assault Rifle
This makes the weapon behave a little closer to how it was in the Demo, especially after some additional upgrades.

• Decreased Spread Per Shot for improved sustained accuracy
  • Increased Spread Recovery speed when the player is no longer firing
Difficulty Tweaks
Lower difficulties have been made a little easier.

• (Ensign) Further reduced Enemy Health by 25%, further reduced Enemy Damage by 20%
  • (Lieutenant) Further reduced Enemy Health by 15%, further reduced Enemy Damage by 15%
  • (Commander)Further reduced enemy damage by 10%
Enemy Soldiers
  • Increased Stagger chances for most low tier enemies
  • Reduced movement speed for Engineers, and Rifleman who got an Attacker role
QUALITY OF LIFE
Improved Autosaves
  • Added system where entering older levels will create an autsave
  • Fixed an error where the game would not autosave before the first Juggernaut Fight
Improved Keycards
  • Drastically improved the Sight Range for Keycards, causing them to appear on the Automap much sooner. This was always meant to happen, but due to an oversight the distance was 256 units, instead of 1536.
Cloud Saving
  • Corrected Cloud Save directory. Due to an error this was not working. Please let us know if it works now!
BUG FIXES
  • Fixed a crash that could be caused by some objects failing to penetrate glass
  • Fixed credits being invisible at the end of the Episode
  • Fixed an infinite loop if a crushed soda can is crushed again by a door
  • Added some missing Patreon backer credits
  • Fixed a crash caused by Crawler Mines attacking a dead player
  • Toolbox Drawers no longer have an overly generous hitbox
  • Fixed typo where the Cricket Headshot upgrade mentioned 30% more damage instead of 60%.

Last edited:
This game looks like it has an immensely satisfying shotgun...

Patch v0.83b (came and went on Wednesday!) was a quick patch to increase enemy footstep sound volume by 30%.

Patch v0.83c is already out the same week as the previous two patches and features the following:

Minor Additions
  • Let's start with the big one. Added chance for broken microwaves to have a burger inside of them
  • Set default sound output rate to 48000Hz
  • Added a dropdown option for audio sample rate
Bug Fixes
  • Fixed Junk not being permanent with Permanent Destruction turned on
  • Fixed an error that caused Soldier and Gunner sprites to look like Dawn when being pinned by the Penetrator
  • Fixed a crash that could occur when gibbing an enemy with the Penetrator
  • Fixed a crash caused by a broken reference to Blood Pools
  • Fixed a VM abort that could happen when clicking a Burger Flipper upgrade
  • Fixed a crash caused by kicking a park bench with the Railgun equipped
  • Fixed a VM abort caused by BattleSquad when enemies re-acquire a target on Dawn
  • Fixed a VM abort when changing levels while holding a Fire Extinguisher in Riflestart mode
  • Fixed a crash when transitioning a Sentry Turret between maps in 05C
  • Fixed Dawn possibly being on fire forever
  • Added limiter to gore to prevent infinite spawns in the rare instance that certain gore objects get stuck
  • Added some debug commands to clean up blood left behind by infinite blood spawns. If you are experiencing extreme FPS loss in one particular area, try the following command in the console while in the problematic map:
    "netevent debug_purplespot_delete"
Additionally, Selaco has reached a certain popularity threshold (not too sure what that means) where Valve allows us to create Steam Trading Cards and set up a Point Shop for emojis, animated avatars, and more. Which is really cool for a small team like us. Stay tuned for that, too!

Patch v0.83d patch notes:

We have a bigger update planned in a few days, but we decided to launch this one early because it fixes some glaring issues.

Selaco has sold over 50.000 units!
We launched the game 2 weeks ago and have already reached a milestone we didn't expect to hit until the end of the year.

You guys are truly incredible, and we cannot thank you enough for this. Doing all of this on our own without help from major publishers has always been difficult, but we trusted that trying to make a good game would carry us forward through word of mouth. Despite the game having some issues that we are still addressing as we speak, it's amazing to see the amount of excitement from our community.

The future for Selaco is looking bright, and we appreciate you for being on board this early on!

What are currently working on?
The first Content Patch is in the works! It adds new upgrades, Weapon Kits, a whole bunch of Quality of Life improvements, encounter improvements, extended gauntlets (the Pluto Burger encounter ended way too soon!), changes to level signposting, and more!

We aim to have the Content Update ready in a couple of days. Hopefully, this week, but it depends on some engine hurdles we have to overcome first. Usually with GZDoom, level changes break saves, so we have to take some steps to ensure this will not happen.

If we hit any bumps in the road with this engine change, we'll let you know about it!

Patch Notes
Quality of Life
- Added Map icon for secrets that have been discovered
- Added Resume Game button in Main Menu
- Added 'Smoke Density' setting to allow for more transparent smoke effects. Set this to 'Light' for more transparent effects, and 'Heavy' for thicker effects.

Save System
ATTENTION: It will take a moment for saves to sync. Selaco saves are big, especially if you play with 'Permanent Destruction' and 'Permanent Gore' enabled.

- Quicksaves and Autosaves have been reworked to work properly with Steam Cloud saving. Previously when using two different machines, some Autosave/Quicksaves could be overwritten in the wrong order which was very confusing
- Save Files will be migrated to a single folder. The first time you launch Selaco all saves will be backed up and migrated into the program folder so they can properly be synchronized between platforms
- Steam Deck/Linux and Windows should be able to synchronize saves correctly now

Minor Additions
- Delete Key can now be bound in Controls menu

Minor Corrections
- Renamed 'Rifle Start' to 'Rifle Reset'
- Gave Koalas a major health buff
- Static Crosshair option now shows Throw meter

Shooting Range
- Grenades are now infinite during a Shooting Range session

Burger Flipper
- Fixed a typo

Bug Fixes
- Reduced Water Cooler stepheight to prevent it from climbing onto desks
- Gravity Manipulator can no longer pick-up Junction Boxes
- Juggernauts no longer burn permanently
- Fixed a bug where destructible Metal Bars would move without being destroyed
- Fixed an error where dead ACE Security Guards could be picked up with the Gravity Manipulator
- Fixed an mismatch where the Plasma Rifle's Projectile Velocity description was showing an incorrect value.
- Returning to Level 1 after level 2 no longer prevents Milestones from displaying or accumulating
- Fixed a number of instances where effects could accumulate in areas the player has left that would cause the game to gradually slow down
- Fixed severed heads not bouncing correctly
- Fixed a freeze that could happen when a projectile targets itself (!?)
- Fixed Dawn getting stuck when transitioning from Level 1 to Level 2 and standing on the edge of the Planter.
- Bandoliers now count as a secret when picked up while having a full grenade supply

1719663739554.png

Altered Orbit Studios have been putting in work.

Selaco v0.84 Patch Notes - The MEGA Update!

Selaco's first "Mega Update"! This is the biggest changelog we've ever done.

Happy (almost) 1-month anniversary for Selaco!

The reception for the Early Access build has been amazing! Truly, seeing all the excitement and positivity surrounding the game has been extremely inspirational. We know things aren't quite perfect yet, and given the size of the game, we've missed a couple of rough edges that should not have been there.

The goal of this patch
This patch adds a bit more content to the game, improves navigation and signposting in some levels, balance changes, and adds a number of quality of life/convenience features to make the game more fun to play. The main goal here is to just make the game feel a lot better, and I think you will notice that right away.

To the people in our Discord, our Steam Forums, Twitter, and more: thank you for giving us valuable input. We always aim to make the game better, and you've been a great help!

Let's dive into the patch notes and talk about what has been changed!

Version 0.84 - The MEGA patch
(IMPORTANT: There is a bit of overlap in patch notes between 0.83e and 0.84, sorry about that!)

SUMMARY
  • The official soundtrack is now available on Steam!
  • Added Steam Trading Cards and Points Shop
  • Added "Resume Game" button in the main menu
  • Added level versioning system
  • Added "Hard-Boiled!" mutator
  • Added "Armor Up" mutator
  • Added "Extended Bullet Casings" graphical setting
  • New weapon upgrades
  • Weapon kit reworks
  • Improved navigation in the earlier levels
  • Improved general feel of the game
  • Improved map screen
  • Improved movement options
  • Blood is now 0.2% more purple.
  • VAC-Bot petting
  • And more!
SOUNDTRACK

It's finally here! We decided to go nuts with this one and include a whole bunch of bonus stuff to make it even more worthwhile. Here is what's currently included:
  • Full Chapter 1 Soundtrack
  • Unused Tracks that did not make it into the game
  • Bonus tracks like an alternate Menu Track, a remixed Intermission and more
  • Chapter 2 and Chapter 3 tracks will be included for free once released
  • Includes the option to download an uncompressed version of the soundtrack (FLAC)
As a token of appreciation towards Lawrence Steele's work on the Soundtrack, every single purchase will go towards him directly. We will not be taking any of it.

There are two options.

If you want to support the composer, get it through Bandcamp since it grants him the biggest cut (he worked really hard, he deserves it!):

https://satsumaaudio.bandcamp.com/album/selaco-ost

Or get it from Steam:

header.jpg

Selaco Official Soundtrack

QUALITY OF LIFE

Map Screen

• Added map icon for weapon kits. They will appear once you have been in their line of sight.
  • Added map icon for secrets that have been discovered.
  • Added map icon for friendly sentry guns.
  • Added option to add textures to the map screen.
Steam Point Shop

Not really a change to the game itself, but still worth mentioning!
  • Added Steam Trading Cards. One card will be given every 30 minutes of play
  • Added Selaco themed backgrounds, stickers and emoji to the Steam Point Shop
UPDATE: Apparently there is an error here. We are working with Valve to get it fixed!

Save System
  • Quicksaves and autosaves have been reworked to function properly with Steam Cloud saving. Previously, when using two different machines, some autosaves/quicksaves could be overwritten in the wrong order, which was very confusing.
  • Save files will be migrated to a single folder. The first time you launch Selaco, all saves will be backed up and migrated into the program folder so they can properly be synchronized between platforms.
  • Steam Deck/Linux and Windows should now be able to synchronize saves correctly.
Reworked Weapon Station Elements
  • Some portions of the Weapon Station UI have been touched
Time Saving
  • Added "Skip Splash Screens" options to go straight to the menu after loading the game
Level Versioning System
  • This system allows us to update the game, including levels, while retaining full savegame compatibility.
  • There are some limitations. Any level you have visited in your saved game will still be identical to the version from before the update. Level versioning is only applied to new levels that have not been loaded in your saved game before.
  • While we have thoroughly tested this with our playtesters, errors may occur when traveling to previously loaded levels. If this happens, please let us know!
DEV NOTE: This new system will make the patching process a lot easier. The reason we haven't been able to patch for a while is entirely due to GZDoom not being able to handle level adjustments without breaking saves.

This should no longer be an issue, provided no major issues are found.

Credits and Weapon Part UI Elements
  • Credits and Weapon Parts are no longer shown on the HUD at all times.
  • Picking up Credits or Weapon Parts will now briefly show your total amount on the HUD.
  • Hovering over purchasable items (Gwyn Machines, Purchase Panels) will briefly show the amount of credits.
  • You can now see your currency at all times on the Datapad screen.

MUTATORS

Updated Mutator Menu

• We've reworked the difficulty screen to now have a dedicated Mutator button.
  • Added support for unlockable Mutators. This will be utilized more in the future
New Mutator: Hard-Boiled

Unlocked by beating Chapter 1.
  • All enemies are stronger with slightly more health, pain resistance, ability chances, and mobility options (strafe and flank chances).
  • Dawn spawns with the highest possible Tech Module, making all upgrades purchasable right away.
  • Killed enemies drop credits and/or Weapon Parts.
  • Pathfinder Memorial's Saferoom is unlocked right from the start.
  • Enemies will have other surprises that we will not spoil.
DEV NOTE:
Players frequently asked us why the game doesn't have a New Game+. The reason is simple, we only just shipped Chapter 1!

End Game content is not a thing we want to worry about right now, we have to finish the chapters first! For now, Hard-boiled is a very fun stand-in.

New Mutator: Armor Up
  • Booster Mutator that increases armor durability by 25%.
Hardcore Mode
  • Save price decreased from 400 to 300.
  • Removed Hardcore Mode Mag Dumping. Rather than throw away all the ammo, it will now use the same approach as Traditional Mode. We understand that some people liked this approach, so we are considering adding it back as a separate mutator!

WEAPONS, ITEMS & PLAYER

All Weapons

• Added ability to zoom in and out while firing.
S-8 Marksman Rifle
  • Added distance-based headshot damage. Using the DMR at long range will now eliminate soldiers with a single headshot.
  • Slightly increased reloading speed
ESG-24 Shotgun
  • Added 'Quick Swap' upgrade for faster weapon switching to the shotgun.
  • Added 'Improved Pump Grip' upgrade for faster shotgun pumping.
  • Added 'backpack pumping'. Unequipping the Shotgun before pumping will now automatically load a shell after a few seconds of not being used. [This is disabled for Hardcore Mode]
  • Double Barrel Mode tweak: The first shot has reduced recoil to make it easier to connect both shots.
UC-36 Assault Rifle
  • Reduced maximum spread (5.2 -> 4.8) for improved sustained fire.
  • WEAPON KITS:
    • Added 'Burst Fire (Hip)'. Replaces primary fire with a burst fire. This deals +1 damage per shot.
    • Added 'Burst Fire (Zoom)'. Replaces zoom fire with a zoomed burst fire. This has 25% increased accuracy.
    • Removed traditional 'Burst Fire'.
    • 'Scarab Mode' no longer carries over across new campaigns. This upgrade was never meant to be found without cheats.
  • Added 'UC-36B Framework' upgrade. This is a free upgrade once you hit Tech Module 3.
  • Auxiliary launcher now deals 25% additional grenade damage.
  • Improved firing sound to be a bit more punchy.
  • Reduced 'Increased Caliber' costs (500 -> 200).
Fists
  • Added kicks! Hit the melee button when you have your fists out.
DEV NOTE:
We fully understand people want a dedicated kick button for all weapons. We will be looking at our options soon.

Plasma Rifle
  • Increased base damage (43 -> 48)
  • Increased stagger chance per shot (50 -> 70)
  • Added sound and lighting effects when killing soldiers with the Plasma Rifle
SMG
  • Added 'Mule Stock' upgrade. This will decrease spread but add a little bit of recoil that requires control.
  • Added 'Magnetic Rounds'. This increases damage against small robotic enemies, making the SMG even more suitable for clearing Crawler Mines and Saw Drones.
  • 'Extended Barrel' now reduces spread by 45 instead of 85. Combined with Mule Stock, you will be able to reduce spread further than before.
  • DUAL WIELD: Slightly increased spread per shot

Penetrator
  • Added an extra sound effect while reloading
Grenade Launcher
  • Increased self-damage by 25%. It was never meant to deal this little damage to the player.
Dawn
  • Added 'Invincibility Frames' while dashing. The first couple of frames while dashing will now make Dawn immune to bullets. Any other hazards (like Area of Effect damage or fire) will still hurt Dawn. This effect is brief, but if you can time this with incoming attacks, a lot of damage can be mitigated.
  • With dashes being a bit more useful than usual, its cooldown has been increased by 20%.
  • Reduced full slide cooldown (3.0s -> 2.5s) to allow for a bit more sliding
Armor
  • Increased armor durability on Captain, Admiral, and Selaco Must Fall. With the significant increase in damage, they began to lose their worth.
Armor Shards
  • Increased pick-up radius to be less clunky.
Selver Coins
  • Added sound effect when credits spawn into the level (e.g from crates or Hard-Boiled kills)

ENEMIES

Soldier AI

• Made enemies a lot more reactionary. They move around more and do a better job at wandering around the backline of combat
Riflemen
  • Riflemen are now a bit more mobile, mostly in terms of strafing ability
  • Their 'martyrdom' grenades that can drop when killed, now explode sooner. They were far too slow and barely serve a threat.
  • Added visible grenade pin when a 'Martyrdom' grenade is triggered
Cloning Plant Enemies
  • Melee Types have their health reduced (150 -> 120)
  • Ranged Types have their damage reduced (8 -> 6)
  • Ranged Types have their health reduced (130 -> 110)
  • Dawn can now slide through Plant Enemies. This will allow players to evade when cornered.
Engineers
  • Increased Turret Deployment Chance (4% -> 6%).
Air Drones
  • They no longer look away before firing a rocket at you
Siegers

Far too tanky with the amount of mobility and damage they could deal.
  • Health Reduced (110 -> 90)
  • Siegers are a bit more mobile than before.
  • Improved visual spectacle when a Sieger explodes.
  • Fixed an error where his explosion would not deal damage.
  • Fixed an error where they would spawn more gibs than intended (4 arms or 4 legs)
Plasma Troopers
  • Reduced Plasma Projectile Speed (30-> 26)
  • Reduced Armor Penetration (-15% -> -25%) (Meaning Plasma Attacks deal an additional 25% less damage when using armor)
Juggernauts
  • Increased Leap Explosion Damage (90 -> 110)
  • Decreased Leap Explosion Area of Effect (380 -> 280)
Selaco Must Fall

Too many players managed to beat it, which is not something we tolerate in this mode.
  • (SMF) Sieger Projectile Speed has been increased by 2.5x
  • (SMF) Siegers now gently move to different directions while firing.
  • (SMF) Enemy Mines now spawn 3 crawler mines when destroyed
  • (SMF) Crawler Mines may now fire an occasional Plasma Bolt
  • (SMF) Added 10% chance for Engineers to fire a rocket instead of a regular shotgun attack
  • (SMF) Enemy Landmines have a much smaller light on them and no longer have Self Lighting
  • (SMF) Saw Drones no longer feel any pain
  • (SMF) (Rare) Some enemies now spawn with 50% extra health (Juggernauts excluded)
DEV NOTE:
Next patch will make it harder once more.

Admiral Difficulty
  • Increased Global Damage by 5%

LEVELS

Levels have been improved in many ways, not all of them are mentioned in this list.

Pathfinder Memorial Hospital
  • Streamlined the Lockdown Sequence before fighting Juggernaut. It should now be way easier to navigate through.
  • Fixed some very unfortunate softlocks
  • Tweaked objective labels to be clearer
  • Removed an outdated shotgunner that spawned behind the player in Level 1-3
  • Corrected Cabinet Card position. Both cards were always meant to be close to the two Storage Cabinets.
  • Slightly raised the doorway before the first Crawler Mine Encounter to make it more obvious the player needs to slide under it
Water Treatment Plant
  • Fixed an error where decorations could be brought into the Safe Room Elevator.
  • Removed Glass Pane that required destroying in order to progress.
  • Damaged Koalas are now valid for the Nailbomb Secret.
  • Added a unique mechanical sound effect when the bridge lowers/raises
Parking Garage
  • The Pluto Burger gauntlet has been enhanced and now lasts a little longer.
  • (SMF) Fixed a gunner getting stuck in geometry.
  • Fixed some fences not blocking the player.
Liancria Office Complex
  • Minor encounter reworks to make combat more dynamic.
Sal's Lair
  • Texture change for the Keypad that opens the door towards HQ.
  • Fixed a broken midtexture.
  • Fixed an error where 2 objectives were in the incorrect order.
  • The Junction Box is now a little easier to spot
Plant Cloning Facility
  • Added a brand new music track during the final gauntlet.
  • Fixed a softlock on Floor B2.
  • Added obstruction warning when closing the Plant Stamper machine with the barrel on the door.
  • Fixed an error where Aos would repeat a structural integrity message when opening/closing a junction box.
Bonus Level: Starlight
  • Starlight Green: Fixed an error where the blue keycard icon would persist.
  • Starlight Green: Fixed an error where a shutter texture did not block the player.
Shooting Range
  • Grenades are now infinite during a Shooting Range session.
Burger Flipper
  • Fixed a typo.

OTHER COOL STUFF

Statistics

The following stats have been added to the Statistics Tab on your Wrist Codex:
  • Added per-weapon 'Shots Fired' stats.
  • Added per-weapon Kill stats.
  • Added 'Upgrades bought' stat.
  • Added 'Squad Leaders Killed' stat.
  • Added 'Signs Removed' stat. You can finally know how many signs you have pulled from the wall
Milestones

We made an oversight; 2 enemy types were not added to the Milestone system:
  • Added 'Gunners Killed' milestone.
  • Added 'Squad Leaders Killed' milestone.
Gore System
  • Applied more speed variations between different chunks of gore.
  • Explosive Kills now apply more force to spawned gibs.
  • Added more splatter and fog effects for moving parts. This is increased per Blood Quality level.
  • Added 'Dense Purple Fog' clouds for Sieger Deaths.
  • Made 'Armor Fog' darker. It was probably still using our old spritework where everything was brighter.
  • Added more disgusting noises when gibbing enemies.
  • Added sound effects when gibbing corpses
  • Applied a bit more friction to enemy corpses to make them appear heavier
Minor Additions
  • You can now press USE on a VAC-Bot to pet them, this can be done an infinite amount of times
  • Added visible muzzle flash for Dawn's third-person sprite (visible in mirrors).
  • Air Drones now have a water splash effect when colliding with a water surface.
  • Delete Key can now be bound in the Controls menu.
  • Added visible Grenade Pin when throwing Ice Grenades.
  • Added 'Extended Bullet Casings' graphical setting.
  • Added Custom, 35, and 45 FPS Settings (NOTE: Due to how GZDoom works, we cannot go below 35FPS).
  • Shocked and Frozen Enemies now take 1.25x more damage.
Minor but noteworthy Corrections
  • Added 'Smoke Density' setting
  • Performance optimization for bullet casings.
  • Fixed far, far too many typos.
  • Your current Security Level is now visible on the Wrist Computer screen
  • Fixed Shotgun Shell ejections looking weird
  • Added ambient sound for Junction Boxes.
  • Renamed 'Rifle Start' to 'Rifle Reset'.
  • Gave Koalas a major health buff.
  • Static Crosshair option now shows Throw meter.
  • Revised artwork involving the house of a sponge.
  • Ice Grenade HUD indicator now has a proper icon that no longer resembles a Flare.
  • Fixed a bug where soldiers refused to move when they had lost sight of the player. This often resulted in enemies not appearing as dynamic as intended. Whoops!
  • Tweaked Locked Door parameters to be far more likely to appear on the Automap once close.
UltimateSelacoBuilder (Level Editor)
  • All enemies are now properly shown in the editor
  • Added 'HOWTOUSE_SELACOBUILDER.TXT' to explain how to set things up. This is a temporary solution until we get something better going!
  • Added 8 different types of Cardboard Boxes
  • Added Kickable Door actors
Bug Fixes
  • Fixed an error where 'Reset Defaults' in the Keybind menu did not have a proper description
  • Fixed numerous instances where hitscan attacks were blocked by level geometry.
  • Lab Equipment no longer 'slides' when shot.
  • Fixed an error where 'Reduced Impact shake' resulted in more impact shake.
  • Reduced Water Cooler step height to prevent it from climbing onto desks.
  • Gravity Manipulator can no longer pick up Junction Boxes.
  • Juggernauts no longer burn permanently. (Sorry Gianni!)
  • Fixed an error where Vending Machine purchases were not tracked on the stats page.
  • Fixed a bug where destructible Metal Bars would move without being destroyed.
  • Fixed an error where dead ACE Security Guards could be picked up with the Gravity Manipulator.
  • Fixed a mismatch where the Plasma Rifle's Projectile Velocity description was showing an incorrect value.
  • Returning to Level 1 after Level 2 no longer prevents Milestones from displaying or accumulating.
  • Fixed a number of instances where effects could accumulate in areas the player has left, causing the game to gradually slow down.
  • Fixed severed heads not bouncing correctly.
  • Fixed a freeze that could happen when a projectile targets itself (!?).
  • Fixed Dawn getting stuck when transitioning from Level 1 to Level 2 and standing on the edge of the Planter.
  • Bandoliers now count as a secret when picked up while having a full grenade supply.
  • Fixed tutorial sizing when loading a savegame on a machine with a different screen resolution than when saved.
  • Small props are now correctly destroyed under doors.
  • Fixed a VM abort when punting the throwing knife.
  • Punted knives now properly kill enemies.
  • Fixed an infinite loop that could occur when crushing a broken trash bin under a door/ceiling.
  • Fixed Rifle Start/Rifle Reset not removing weapons at incorrect times.
  • Stat categories added in updates will now apply to old save files.
  • Fixed a potential crash when pressing TAB in the train menu.
  • Fixed an error where Completed Map markers would appear far too tiny on the map.
  • Fixed added Recoil stats showing as green instead of red in the Workshop.
  • Fixed some Workshop mods not appearing in the Mod list under Options.
  • Fixed an oversight where the screenshake settings ignored the fist attacks
  • Starting a new game will no longer create two autosaves.

Back