SegWit2x discussioin - and why it will be dead on arrival

DPI

[H]F Junkie
Bitcoin is forking on or around November 16, 2017, 11:32 am EST based on the SegWit2X code on block height 494784.

However the new altcoin is doomed for a lot of reasons. Simplest is that you can't force a hard fork without near unanimous consensus of the entire Bitcoin community -- users, miners, exchanges, and businesses. There currently isn't one, and there won't be one.

Another issue is the expected price for the forked coin is about 1/5th the original coin. This means that miners will find it unprofitable to mine the new chain and will switch back to the original. No miners = the new chain will have no blocks. It's possible that the Segwit2x developer -- yes, singular, it's one guy -- could add an emergency difficulty adjustment a la Bitcoin Cash, but that will just further undermine the credibility of the fork.

So, yes, Segwit2x is dead on arrival. Original Bitcoin is unstoppable.

Last edited:
will it pass btc. hell no. whoever has the BTC name will succeed. S2x will be created and it will have a value. as of how much i honestly couldnt tell you considering both bch and btg are actually worth somthing dispite all odds. there will be miners on both forks thats just how it tends to work out granted depending on the price it might be massively disproportionate.

shits about to go down. exchanges are under heavy load and it looks like people are pulling out of btc. all other cryptos are doing well... it shall be intresting.

why do you think people are getting out of BTC?

logically, may people liquidized into btc to get that "free coin" it was a few hundred extra for the bch fork. without the fork i see people moving money.

you can also see a massive jump in activity on all exchanges and cryptos.

with that said its holding abit so i have no idea :p

shits about to go down. exchanges are under heavy load and it looks like people are pulling out of btc. all other cryptos are doing well... it shall be intresting.

Yeah, trade volume is definitely up. Typical 24hr volume is around the $2.5b mark, but it's almost $4.0b right now.

$7200. Doesn’t seem like many people jumped back out after the cancellation.

Reactions: Parja
like this
If anything this adds stability to the btc market, I don't understand why people would get out now.

People were moving all of their holdings into BTC hoping to make a quick buck on the fork. Now they're diversifying back out to alts since the fork's not going to happen. But it looks like plenty of others are taking advantage of the dips to buy in.

I guess I didn't realize how many people were making a play off that fork when it was so sketchy. I woulda took the free money but I wasn't making buying decisions based on it.
good to think about. thanks.

you guys trade crypto on news? I generally trade the trends and don't pay that much attention to the news.
If you do trade on news, how's that going?

i buy lows and sell whenever. lows are easy to spot everything else is VERY dificaulty to find.

Wat... Why in the world would miners support a rogue fork. If there are no exchanges or investors the miners make nothing. Even with decent support for the fork the miners who move would almost certainly make the same or less then the original

Well we seem to be hitting that dip now.
I sold out @ 7300 and hoping I actually buy back in on bottom this time unlike every other time.

Good luck to all.

Well we seem to be hitting that dip now.
I sold out @ 7300 and hoping I actually buy back in on bottom this time unlike every other time.

Good luck to all.
i sold about half at 7400 bit i got abunch on margin thats not doing so well right now :(

Price seemed to have lined back up with LTC now, generally that was support level in the past, hopefully this is bottom. I have seen projections to under 5k, if litecoin starts dropping I expect BTC to do the same.

Price seemed to have lined back up with LTC now, generally that was support level in the past, hopefully this is bottom. I have seen projections to under 5k, if litecoin starts dropping I expect BTC to do the same.

this very well might be the end for btc. many people are moving money to bch and even if btc finds a reasonable bottom i cant see it getting any momentem to come back up. and i dont think litecoin has any influance anymore.

this very well might be the end for btc. many people are moving money to bch and even if btc finds a reasonable bottom i cant see it getting any momentem to come back up. and i dont think litecoin has any influance anymore.

Heard that before.

Heard that before.
as have I and i feel like i should clarify. This might be the end for BTC as people move over to BCH. Btc dropes all the time but this is the first time in awhille where its not just a drop its a mass move to other cryptos (BCH is up 5x in volume)

as have I and i feel like i should clarify. This might be the end for BTC as people move over to BCH. Btc dropes all the time but this is the first time in awhille where its not just a drop its a mass move to other cryptos (BCH is up 5x in volume)

Bitthumb volume hardly counts. We shall see what the ultimate outcome is but this looks more like a pump to grab more btc than anything else.

When BTC falls to 3842 buy all you can. Mortgage your house. Suck dick for cash. Make it happen.

When BTC falls to 3842 buy all you can. Mortgage your house. Suck dick for cash. Make it happen.

thats a very nice number i think ill take a 100x margin position if it hits that in your honor

In all seriousness, no. Nobody kills the king. BCH run-up of the last 24hrs is nothing more than a coordinated PnD scam.

Loved the BTC sale, grabbed more at 5500.

Last edited:
Reactions: Parja
like this
Don't suppose you guys know what the next BCH is, I was caught in transfers and never got in on that last p&d

I seem to have played the last peak and valley well on BTC.
You guys on margin using kraken or another service? Kraken craps out on me all the time and make me nervous.

Back