segmentation fault issues

to get a better understanding of the situation, look here

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=712234

it still doesn't find the installtion media often- but when it does...

for some odd reason, i am getting signal 11 errors again in redhat, and segmentation faults in Vector Linux, which is based on slack.

i changed the wait states for the memory from "normal" to "8/10 ns"

i tried moving the jumper from 133mhz to 100mhz, but something is broken on the mobo. when i move the jumper to 100mhz, the machine acts as though there is no jumper present at all (i know this because i removed the jumper to see if i got similar results- i did)

i can't add any more RAM to this machine, God knows it should be plenty for what i want it to do.

i reenabled the caches i previously disabled , enabled the memory hole, disabled PnP....

i have temporarily installed Win ME...oddly enough, it worked like a charm, not a single error in the install process. but i don't like Win ME, i want to learn linux and i also have a few projects for the linux box.

i also downloaded the live cd of VL, it works nicely. so i am baffled as to why knoppix and VL live run but no distros will install.

gosh, is there anything left to do?

-edit

the cd media in VL IS found....the installation always tanks when either copying the filesystem or the kernel...never got past that point, that's when i get a segmentation fault.

First thing I'd do is run Memtest overnight to make sure your RAM/memory controller is ok.

Next thing to check would be the hard drive. If you've got another one toss it in there and see if you have the same problems.

If that test fails too.. maybe see if you can get an IDE card or SCSI card + disk to make sure the problem isn't with your IDE controller.

memtest ran for 4 hours 6 minutes as of post- time. all 11 tests went through, no errors. i am now back on the 2nd test but will stop it shortly.

so the memory is fine...

i tried 3 different hard drives...same result on all 3

both IDE controllers on the mobo, also...

but, like i said, windows ME installed perfectly... what is up with linux?

Originally posted by nameless_centurian
both IDE controllers on the mobo, also...

By "both" IDE controllers you mean a seperate onboard RAID controller (ie HPT37x) and the standard IDE?

Originally posted by RazeDS
By "both" IDE controllers you mean a seperate onboard RAID controller (ie HPT37x) and the standard IDE?

no, it has a primary and a secondary controller, both are standard IDE..i believe..it'd be cool if i found out this thing did raid, also but i think it doesn't.

one thing i haven't thought of- is there only 1 IDE controller and a primary/secondary slot to plug in, or are they 2 seperate controllers? even so, why does windows not have a problem while all distros of linux do?

no, i have not tried a totally seperate controller yet...i'll wait until i find the time to order a cheap one (funds are tight).

-edit

in the original post, i mentioned that the VL install quits while trying to copy the filesystem...

just to let you know.... upon installation, all of the partitions i set up using cfdisk were found. i have 4 partitions, i believe. 1 is a swap partition. so cfdisk did allow me to write the partition information to disk.... also as i mentioned before, i have tried 3 different hard drives. as of right now, 1 of those drives has win ME on it in the same machine, 1 is unused, and 1 is running win 2000 in another computer...

so at least 2/3 of the hd's are funtional

Segmentation faults seem to be usually caused by a bad portion of memory. A bad CPU or the CPUs cache. If something in the swap space gets damaged or corrupted it can cause these, as well ass Buggy software. Just because Windows ME works doesn't mean there is not a hardware problem. Different operating systems use hardware in different ways.

You could try to take out some of the RAM.

Back