• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Sega Mega Drive PC Casemod.

DMC-12

n00b
Joined
Jan 23, 2012
Messages
2
Hey, This will be my first casemod, and I've chosen to build a PC into the case from a Sega Mega Drive. It's not going to be the most amazing PC ever, due to size limitations (and money limitations). But I think I should be able to squeeze something pretty decent out of it.

Here's the hardware I've got in mind so far, bearing in mind I'm trying to keep this as cheap as possible,

Asus M2NC51-AR Motherboard Mini ITX
AMD Athlon II X3
MSI ATI Radeon 5450 HD connected through a 90 degree riser card (It'll fit If I cut the metal plate just before the VGA socket)
2gb ram (undecided what make)
Akasa AMD ITX Cooler (29mm thick)
old IDE HDD I've got lying around (HDDs are way too expensive at the moment)

I was just wondering mainly what PSU do you think would be best? It's going to have to be an external PSU due to lack of space. Is it possible to use an AC adaptor type power supply with this hardware? Power supplies are probably my weak point!
Any advice would be appreciated! :D
 
i'd recommend 4gb RAM over 2gb as it will only be a few dollars more expensive, yet give you a much smoother experience with your computer.

an external power supply makes sense as it will be smaller in your case and probably less heat too, common concerns of every small computer build.

please post pics as i'd love to see a modded Sega game console running Windows 7 (or whatever OS you'll use).
 
I've been thinking of using a board something like this one instead: http://www.overclock.co.uk/product/...MI--DVI--DSub-Mini-ITX-Motherboard_41106.html

Performance isn't really the main thing I'm going for any more as being a student, money isn't something I have very much of. It also has onboard HD 6310 graphics, which is more than enough to play UT99!

Ideally though the PC would be best if I could use an AC adaptor for the power supply, so there would be no need for an external one ruining the looks of it.
 
Back
Top