Sega master System

Bigbacon

Fully [H]
so after wanting a SMS since i was a child...finally got one.

What are some good games for it?

Now to get me a Genesis.

i only had a genesis.. it was awesome.

echo the dolphin man.. woulds hardest game for an 8 year old

Here are the games that I have personally enjoyed on the SMS

Golvellius: Valley of Doom
Phantasy Star
Out Run
Space Harrier
Global Defense
Bomber Raid
Penguin Land

Along with

Golden Axe Warrior
Alex Kidd in Miracle World
Altered Beast
The Sonic Games

Though I haven't played those.

I am sure there are others that I am forgetting but that should get you started.

Alex Kidd.

We used to play a wrestling game too but I don't remember what it was called. Lots of fun though....

there are sonic games for SMS?

I don't own a Genesis yet, but it is next on the list.

Yeah actually Sonic and Sonic 2 were brought to the SMS with 8-bit versions. Since you are going to own a Genesis I would just get them on that platform.

Anyone else remember calling the Sega hotline and asking for the tip guides? They would send god knows how many at a time through snail mail. I think I just was collecting them for every game on the system for some reason.

Phantasy Star
Wonder Boy in Monsterland
Y's
I remember playing Transbot a lot for who knows what reason, stupid cards.
And can't forget Snail Maze!

snailmaze is the secret game that is built in right? I have the version with hang on and jungle fight or whatever built in.

pretty neat, I didn't know it had that. I will say of the games I got with it, it really seems inferior to the NES in everyway

Wonder Boy 3: The Dragon's Trap is a must play. Double Dragon was also a sweet port (much better than the NES version).

So many fond memories of Alex Kidd in miracle world & Wonder Boy 3.

Power Strike was my favorite shooter for the master system.
R-Type is another good one. Double Dragon for 2 player co op beat em up fun.

Never called the Hotline, but a friend and I called 1-800-USA-SEGA routinely for free game manuals. Yes we got manuals for ALL the games. lol

Was Space Harrier master system or genesis? Had lots of fun with that one...

Double Dragon was a blast, too -- but I don't think it lives up to my memories like many of the other games. I remember being so excited because it was free from some promotion.....

so after wanting a SMS since i was a child...finally got one.

What are some good games for it?

Now to get me a Genesis.

Alex Kidd In Miracle World (My favorite game of all time on the SMS)
Wonder Boy
Zillion
Zillion 2
Fantasy Zone
Fantasy Zone II
Astro Warrior
Teddy Boy
Out-run
Quartet
Space Harrier
Transbot

Was Space Harrier master system or genesis? Had lots of fun with that one...

It came out on both systems, SMS first and a revamped version later on the Genny.

Wasted lots and lots of hours on the SMS version hehe...

"GET READY!!!"

have Sonic and Fantasy zone on the way.

the 8 bit version of Sonic intrigued me.

Probably my all time favorite game. Pretty much the only reason I still have the Wii hooked up. I finally managed to beat this game using the emulator on my old PSP and save states.

wonder_boy_in_monster_land.jpg

Last edited:
wow this brings back memories. My friend wanted to buy the system and no adults were with us so we took a cab to Toys R Us and got it. Good times. :)

WOW looked up Double Dragon and Ninja Gaiden on youtube for the SMS. What a HUGE difference.

so Wonder boy = adventure island?

I loved the first Phantasy Star.
All of the Alex Kidd games were a ton of fun.
Back in those days, their version of Shinobi was 50x better than the horrid NES version.
I never actually had a SMS, but once I got the Genesis "power base converter" you could play the SMS games on it.

so Wonder boy = adventure island?

Pretty much, actually as I understand it Wonder Boy was the original game. 'Adventure Island' was the same game with slightly altered sprites and music to get around some sort of copyright issues so it could be released on the NES.

Wonder Boy is far superior graphics-wise to Adventure Island on the NES.

Alex Kidd in Miracle World and Wonder Boy were the two games that got the most playtime by far on our SMS.

Last edited:
I use to have a lot of fun with Zaxxon 3D. You didn't need the 3D glasses. Just hold pause while booting up i think? From there it will ask to be played in 2D or 3D.

I have all US SMS system models and am just above 50% on the US games collection before I move onto imports. I remember when I got my first SMS after it's first release. Fantasy Zone 2 was awesome, Alex Kidd, Phantasy Star, Kenseiden, Shinobi, Double Dragon, Zillion, Astro Warrior... There are tons more awesome ones, but those are just the ones that I can think of now.

Pro Wrestling. Yes, great game! :)

I use to love the nes version.. Especially starman and his somersault kick. That was my favorite wrestling move in a game till n64 WCW games, where you can put them on the ground and headbutt them in the groin. i called it the dinger after the little Ding it would make. I was practically a one move person, just like hulk hogans and his leg drop!

got Sonic the Hedgehog, what a faithful port. amazing how well they did. If they could only port games this well now a days

got double dragon on the way (got it for 99cents and free shipping)

Probably going to pick up Alex kidd, choplifter and after burner that someone has for sale for just over 10 bucks.
Genesis on the way also with Sonic and Alldain included

Enjoying these old games. Only thing I really dislike about the SMS is the d-pad on the controllers. I always end up using the diagnal and messing stuff up.

just keep buying old stuff as I find it. Picked up abodox and solstice for NES over the weekend for like 2 bucks at a flea market.

WoW had so much fun with my SMS, damn I wish I still had all my old consoles.

Games( I had and love)
After Burner
Alien Syndrome
Altered Beast
Black Belt
Enduro Racer
Golden Axe
Golvellius: Valley of Doom
Hang-On / Astro Warrior
Pro Wrestling
Rambo First Blood Part 2
Rocky