Seeking ultimate keyboard

velusip

[H]ard|Gawd
No, not the Optimus- I'd break it. No not the Das Keyboard 2, I've tried it- it's just an ordinary $15 Fujitsu keyboard painted black. (Which isn't bad, but it's too big)

I had a glimpse at what splendor keyboards can be with a Bytech Mini (it's like a laptop keyboard with a USB interface), but then the cheap rubber switches failed in it and I'm back to using this cheap Logitech Navigator keyboard which I never liked.

Here's what I do not want from a keyboard:
  • Tall, sloping keys
  • Media keys
  • Number pad
  • Lights
  • Rubber switches

Here's what I do want:
  • Small. Sits close to my mouse without taking the whole desk.
  • Flat. A very thin keyboard usually means a quiet, short keystroke
  • Laptop layout. It would be even better if there was a right Ctrl key.
  • High quality switches. Long lasting.
  • USB

If you have any ideas please post links, or your experiences with a particular keyboard that matches at least some of these features outlined.

Link

I have had this keyboard for about a week or so. I have enjoyed every minute with it.

I can go from my laptop, sitting near me, to this & not feel much of a change. The keys are quick to repsond and the overall design is very nice.

Edit: It does come with a feature extra features, like the USB connections on the back of it, & sound inputs (which I don't need)

But it does have your right ctrl button.

I picked up one of these to fit in a cramped space on my desk.
http://www.topmicrousa.com/mck-91.html

It has a laptop layout, quiet keys, thin feel to it, except its a PS/2 plug. It doesn't really matter though unless you don't have a PS/2 plug on your mobo. You can't really go wrong, its so cheap just to give it a try.

w1retap said:
I picked up one of these to fit in a cramped space on my desk.
http://www.topmicrousa.com/mck-91.html

It has a laptop layout, quiet keys, thin feel to it, except its a PS/2 plug. It doesn't really matter though unless you don't have a PS/2 plug on your mobo. You can't really go wrong, its so cheap just to give it a try.

They have USB adapters that would work with PS/2

Damn, that Logitech diNovo Edge is really really tempting me. Damn it!! :confused:

AMDman said:
Damn, that Logitech diNovo Edge is really really tempting me. Damn it!! :confused:

I'd buy that in an instant if it had the 10 key. So used to the 10 key for typing up financial info.

Thanks for all the responses. Unfortunately most of these keyboards do not mention what kind of switches they use in the technical specifications provided on their websites. It's the most important thing, but somehow it gets left out. Of course this leads me to believe that they are cheap rubber switches just like the ones in the keyboard I managed to wear out in a month. ;P

I suppose I'll continue to be fed mass marketted garbage and wait and wish for something of quality to come along...

If I were you, I'd go to your nearest computer shop and just try out the keyboards til you find the one you like. It's hard to find keyboards that haven't moved to the rubber caps instead of the "clicky keys", perhaps an older keyboard is what you are looking for?

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/US/EN,CRID=2282,CONTENTID=6636

Logitech Playstation 2 USB keyboard.

That is what I use, its tiny and its like a laptop. No stupid extra keys... Some people don't like how its like a laptop keyboard though, because you don't have to press far to get the key to register. Personally, I like it like that. I find that it makes my typing faster.

I bought mine at EB games... the only place I could find it.

I have a very hard time believing that you will find a laptop-style keyboard without a numpad that uses the Model M-type springs, whatever those are. I'd bet money you're just going to have to bite the bullet and get a Model M or similar. :p

my favorite keyboard ever is the one that comes wiht the 99 dollar hp pavillions.
it doesn't have any multimedia keys, but you can always get a programmable keyboard or something.
if i were you, i'd stop by walmart/office depot/best buy and see if they have any on display there.
i could take pics if you'd like, just PM me for them.

Ultimate Keyboard:
(and its actually supposed to be out soon)
Same company that made this. http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=20747

keyb_front.jpg

keyb_left.jpg

keyb_003.jpg

keyb_002.jpg

eng.jpg

rus.jpg

psd.jpg

qua.jpg

keyb_001.jpg

velusip said:
No, not the Optimus- I'd break it. No not the Das Keyboard 2, I've tried it- it's just an ordinary $15 Fujitsu keyboard painted black. (Which isn't bad, but it's too big)

I had a glimpse at what splendor keyboards can be with a Bytech Mini (it's like a laptop keyboard with a USB interface), but then the cheap rubber switches failed in it and I'm back to using this cheap Logitech Navigator keyboard which I never liked.

Here's what I do not want from a keyboard:
  • Tall, sloping keys
  • Media keys
  • Number pad
  • Lights
  • Rubber switches

Here's what I do want:
  • Small. Sits close to my mouse without taking the whole desk.
  • Flat. A very thin keyboard usually means a quiet, short keystroke
  • Laptop layout. It would be even better if there was a right Ctrl key.
  • High quality switches. Long lasting.
  • USB

If you have any ideas please post links, or your experiences with a particular keyboard that matches at least some of these features outlined.

You will not get high quality switches in any laptop style keyboard today. Virtually all keyboards are membrane keyboards and do not have any actual switch. With the exception of the IBM model M keyboard (which was discontinued some years ago) and the Das Keyboard, there are no more mechanical keyboards left in the world, and certainly they are not built as laptop style designs.

I've also found that the laptop keyboards are not always quieter, but they do make a different type of sound that some people really like. Small and flat are definitely easy enough to get.

The Aural EluminX keyboard is what I'd recommend. Though mine was PS/2, I am fairly sure a USB version exists.

General Crespin said:
I have a very hard time believing that you will find a laptop-style keyboard without a numpad that uses the Model M-type springs, whatever those are. I'd bet money you're just going to have to bite the bullet and get a Model M or similar. :p

You can not. The buckling spring switch is too large for a laptop style keyboard design. The keyboard I mentioned above does have a numpad, and laptop style layout. I simply couldn't stand the layout and couldn't get used to it over a period of two months. I switched to the G15, and I am happy with it, but I do not like the size.

w1retap, I already said no to that one in my first post.

I find buckling torsional keyboards all the time. (Type-M or whatever you folks call them.) They aren't nearly as rare as people like to gloat about, but I don't want one. Way too noisy. I don't like a noisy keyboards. I prefer low profile, laptop style keyboards with quiet switches. Something that doesn't rely on a pad of rubber for recoil because those tend to make lots more noise as the key is not railed into place- it rattles around and grinds plastic against plastic.

I'm really picky about peripherals... Here's a list of what I'm now looking at going from small and pretty to big and ugly. I would immediatly assume quality and longetivity follows suite from low to high, but I'll have to inspect them personally to find out.
  • Zippy WK-620 - Looks really nice. Low profile, proper layout, apparently spring loaded.
  • Hiper Clavier - VERY pretty. I'd like to try one.
  • Déck-82 - Cheesy and overpriced, but at least they boast quality.
  • Fujitsu FKB8729-651 - It's a DAS Keyboard2 without the black paint for $15.

I bring you the UltraX with a 3-year guarantee! Cheaper "version" of the DiNovo, around 16-17€ .

I have one, and the keys havent changes since I first used it, perfectly good laptop keys. :)

It has all the key's a normal keyboard would have, except it has 6 media keys, but they are out of the way and barely noticable... :p "Media" "Play/Pause" "Mute" "Favorites" "E-Mail" "WWW" who uses those keys anyways?, the only keys I would have need for is "Mute" and "VOL UP" and "VOL DOWN" but you can always use TweakUI to change them to do anything you like. :)

Hands down, the best feeling keyboards you can by are the IBM ones. They have always been masters of the tactile feeling. Here's one that's very laptop-like (even down to the touchpad). This specific one doesn't have a numpad, but they have another model (same look and style) that does. I have a ThinkPad laptop, and its keyboard is heaven. Better than my Dell keyboard and my dinovo media keyboard as well.

crazjayz said:
Hands down, the best feeling keyboards you can by are the IBM ones. They have always been masters of the tactile feeling. Here's one that's very laptop-like (even down to the touchpad). This specific one doesn't have a numpad, but they have another model (same look and style) that does. I have a ThinkPad laptop, and its keyboard is heaven. Better than my Dell keyboard and my dinovo media keyboard as well.

Yep, I have a Thinkpad and I have to agree. Best feeling keyboard ever!!!! So im sure there regular keyboards are just as good.

digital_exhaust said:
Like this?

expensive, but nice.

I pulled the trigger and ordered yesterday and it shipped today. I decided that Christmas was comming early this year. ;) Should be here in a few days.

AMDman said:
I pulled the trigger and ordered yesterday and it shipped today. I decided that Christmas was comming early this year. ;) Should be here in a few days.

post a update on how you like it, i was thinking of getting that one once i seen him post it, looks sexy :cool:

I've used and looked at a lot of laptop like keyboards and I found the Enermax Aurora the best so far. I tried the DiNovo but I found the space key too wobbly. I tried a cheap Logitech flat keyboard but the keys were too spongy. The Enermax is solid (Heavy Aluminum frame) and the keys response is very precise. It does have the numerical keypad though but I really love the feel. That was more important to me. :)

WicKeDcHilD said:
post a update on how you like it, i was thinking of getting that one once i seen him post it, looks sexy :cool:

Sure, I'll write a mini-review and throw some pics up after a few days of use. :cool:

AMDman said:

Definitely post up on how you like it. I have two of the dinovo lasers and love the media remotes that they come with but this one looks like it has some other unique features.

Got my G15 in today. So far it seems to be really good. Lighted keyboard is pretty nice. LCD is really cool to have. I was thinking I'd wait for the G11 to release, but I'm glad I went with this LCD version.

The G15 isn't nearly as bulky as I thought it'd be. In fact, it's not big at all imo.

Back