Seeking Uber Headset Recommendation

I'm looking to buy a headset (headphones + mic) in the ~$300 range but I could go as high as $500 depending on the quality. Definitely want circumaural and closed back

Uses would include: PC gaming, Skype, PS3 gaming / in-game chat, and work (involves listening to voice and requires an analog connector).

Anyone have any recommendations? I don't mind buying an Astro MixAmp or something similar to make everything work. Am I better of buying headphones and microphone seperately?

Headset?

Beyerdynamic MMX 300.
That's probably the best thing in that price range, at least for a true headset.

Well I'd probably look at Beyerdynamic for that kind of thing. You could look at their professional range but they make one particularly for computers, the MMX-300 that was mentioned, so I'd look at that. Not cheap, but extremely high quality, at least in the earphone department.

maximize the budget on an awesome headphone/amp(if needed) and velcro a cheap boom mic on lol

Since you mentioned PS3 gaming + voice chat, you will need an Astro Mixamp for sure or Earforce DSS to work with that 330 headset.

I had a similar issue, here is what I did. I'm not audiophile by any means, so I purchased a Xonar DG + Astro Mixamp + HD555 / Zalman Clip on Mic.
I already have two astro setups (a40 + a30) so I purchased another mixamp for my PC since they are so versatile. This setup allows me to take the mixamp + headphone/mic over to my PS3 or Macbook if needed.

Back