Seeking suggestions on laptop for video editing on ~$3000 budget.

elevenpm

n00b
I'll copy and paste what I wrote elsewhere, but my eye is on Origin since they just started adding ocz vertex 3's to their Eon17S:

Approximate Purchase Date: ASAP (Within the month)

Budget Range: Around 3000-3500 Before rebates

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Video editing, very light gaming.

Country of Origin: USA

Parts Preferences: None

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: No

Monitor Resolution: 2560 x 1440 (to external Dell Ultrasharp u2711)

Current configuration on originpc.com:

Chassis and Primary Display: EON17-S platform with 1920 x 1080 17.3" LED Backlit Glossy Screen- Up to two weeks additional lead time

Graphics Card: Single 1.5GB GDDR5 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460M (1.5GB of Total GFX) - Extended Lead Time

Processor: Intel Core i7-2820QM Quad-Core Processor (2.30GHz), 8MB Cache +$393.00

Memory: 16GB Kingston HyperX Dual-Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1600MHz - 4 X 4GB +$235.00

RAID Configuration: RAID 0: For better speed and performance (2 or more identical drives needed) - ORIGIN Recommended

Hard Drive One: 120GB OCZ Vertex 3 - Solid State Drive +$279.00

Hard Drive Two: 120GB OCZ Vertex 3 - Solid State Drive +$337.00

Optical Drive: 8X DVD+/-R/RW/4X +DL Super-Multi Drive & Software

Audio: Integrated High-Definition Audio with 4 Channel support

Networking: Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 Wireless dual-band module - Up to 450 Mbps +$49.00

Bluetooth: Internal Bluetooth Module

Web Camera: Built-in 2.0 Megapixel Video Camera

Operating System: Genuine MS Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit Edition +$48.00

Warranty: 1 Year Part Replacement and 45 Day Free Shipping Warranty with DVD image and Lifetime Support

No Dead Pixel Guarantee: No Dead Pixel Guarantee

ORIGIN Maximum Protection Shipping Process: Standard Packaging

Additional Comments:
I AM NOT SET ON ORIGIN. I only chose them because they allowed raid0 ssd at a reasonable price. I tried configuring the same computer on alienware and the cost ended up being a bit north at $5000. I'm also eyeing sager. Are there any other companies I should look at?

I want this computer to last at least 3 years. I know this is a vague requirement but I have worries about Raid 0 SSD. I know OCZ's reputation and that's totally buyers beware on my part. What my worry is the degradation of the drive. My plan is to edit raw video and encode on the Raid 0 ssd drives before moving the completed files to an external drive for storage. That is, there will be quite a bit of reading/writing. A loss of efficiency of say 1000MB/s to 750MB/s after that time isn't too big of a deal for me, the integrity of the drive is though.

Does Raid0 SSD SATAIII make sense for what i'm doing or is it beyond overkill?

xoticpc.com

Sager NP7280-S1 / Clevo X7200
- Contact us about our Special Cash discount for Military/Student/International customers + Accessory Bundles for Students - Up to 50% OFF!
- 17.3" FHD 16:9 "Glare Type" Super Clear Ultra Bright LED Glossy Screen (1920x1080)-
- Standard Dead Pixel Policy
- Intel® Core™ i7-960 (3.2-3.46GHz) 8MB L3 Cache, 4.8 GT/sec QPI, LGA 1366
- - IC Diamond Thermal Compound - CPU + GPU
- SLi ENABLED DUAL (2) 1536MB PCI-Express nVIDIA GTX 470M's (3072MB Total) w/GDDR5 DX11 Video Cards (User Upgradeable)
- No Video Adapter
- ~ 12,288MB DDR3 1333MHz Memory (3 SODIMMS)
- Standard Finish
- ~ 6X Blue-Ray Read/8X DVDRW Super Multi Combo Drive
- ~ 120GB Intel 510 Series Solid State Drive (SSD2 Serial-ATA III)
- ~ 120GB Intel 510 Series Solid State Drive (SSD2 Serial-ATA III)
- None Standard -
- Raid 0 Stripe Enabled (Requires 2 or 3 Hard Drives. Combines Hard Drives for performance)
- No Additional Hard Drive in ODD Bay - When Selecting, Optical Drive is NOT Included
- No Back Up Hard Drive
- NO External USB Optical Drive
- No Back Up Software
- No Floppy Drive
- Internal 3-in-1 Card Reader (SD/MMC/MS)
- Internal Bluetooth + EDR
- Intel® Ultimate-N 6300 - 802.11A/B/G/N Wireless LAN Module
- No Network Accessory
- Integrated Digital Video Camera
- No TV Tuner
- Sound Blaster Compatible 3D Audio - Included
- Basic Black Business Case - Included
- Primary Smart Li-ION Battery Pack - Included
- No Car Adapter
- None Standard*
- No Dock/Hub/Adapter
- Integrated Fingerprint Reader
- No External Keyboard or Mouse
- No Notebook Cooler
- No Thanks, Please do not Overclock my system (Overclocking will add 3-6 business days to build time)
- ~Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit Installed (64&32-Bit CD Included) w/ Drivers & Utilities CD's + Microsoft Office Starter 2010 - Included with OS Purchase
- No Office Software
- No Software Bundle
- 3 Year Labor* 1 Year Parts Warranty Lifetime -24/7 DOMESTIC Based- Toll Free Telephone Tech Support (Labor Warranty through Xotic PC)
Includes FREE Shipping Both Ways for Warranty Repairs
- No Xotic PC Gear

$3,209.01

you can go without the S1 and actually just go with the single 460M and get 250GB SSD in Raid 0 with windows 7 professional for around $3,500 if you'd prefer more ssd hard drive space rather than SLI graphics cards+Blu Ray

Last edited:
That second build doesn't make as much sense IMO if you're doing video editing. SLI video cards offer no advantage (other than more power and more heat) and I don't know why you would go for an older i7 when Sandybridge has already proven it is killer in performance for tasks like this.

I also think you'll pay out the ass if you get the machine configured with 2 SSD's.

What type of content are you *actually* editing? If you're doing raw 1080p30+ then I would worry more about the fact that you're going to have a real hard time storing the content you need if you're only leaving yourself with ~100gigs max.

+1 not sure why he recommended an older i7 for this, it makes no logical sense. I'm pretty sure you want to stick with Sandy Bridge.

What about an HP Elitebook 8740w (or the Sandy Bridge refresh whenever it comes out) with an IPS Dreamcolor II display? That plus the fantastic build quality should make it a good machine for your purposes.

+1 not sure why he recommended an older i7 for this, it makes no logical sense. I'm pretty sure you want to stick with Sandy Bridge.

Because that was the basic model cpu on xoticpc.com. I wasn't recommending it simply showing an example of what could be bought for his price range, if he happened to go to the site himself he could have configured it with a 970 or 990x instead both of which outperform the 2820QM in benchmarks, I understand that isn't all that matters but those are the 3 cpu's you can configure on that site so all the other cpu's were outta the question.

These laptops are designed to deal with heat and what not and SLI was a default configuration on the S1 I used to show what he could get for his money infact now you can get crossfire 6970m's + an I7 970 for $3000 or just get an I7 990x on top of that still in his price range of 3500 sure it's overkill on the gaming side but by picking the S-1 model of the Sager on xoticpc you save money on higher end components than you would sticking with the default spec and adding things to it.

You don't need to go nuts on the GPU unless you are gaming or doing 3D modeling. Video editing software doesn't need all that much GPU horsepower, even if you are working with HD files.

I also highly recommend a quad-core Sandy Bridge CPU. Benchmarks with the new Macbook Pros in Final Cut Pro and Handbrake were made last month, and the year-over-year improvement from last year's Nehalem i7 was ridiculous.

I like Pylon's HP Elitebook recommendation. If you're spending that much cash on a notebook, might as well go for one of the best with the IPS LCD.

Back