• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Seeking advice for a silent SFF pc

Hoonis

n00b
Joined
Apr 4, 2005
Messages
40
Hello,

I'm looking for a SFF pc to use for hard disk recording. The main stats I need are
at least 2ghz cpu
1g ram possible
1x firewire
2x usb
room for a nice big fast (>= 7200 rpm drive)

and SILENT, as in completely without sound output. as much as this is possible. Any recomendations?
 
Well SFF make noise. Cooling is anyways hard thing to doo in SFF.

Though Shuttle SN95G5 makes almost no noise. Just use smaller CPU (3000+) and use grafic card with pasive cooling or one with quiet fan. Grafic card should be basic as posible to produce less heat as posible. Like old AGP MX will doo.

Per default ICE fan is set to smart function and it will be quiet.

Actualy all G5 and G4 V3 Shuttle XPC's are silen't. Also P series are aslo silent.

http://global.shuttle.com/Product/Barebone/brb_default.asp

You can allways use some Dynamat to isolate cover from vibrations.

I gues You should find some articles about SN95G5 (ver.2 cause version 1 wasn't realy finished product) and read it. Also try to hear it somewhere(Friends , Family ....)


Good luck,






MD
 
I think the Shuttle ST62K will be the closest thing to fanless-silent you will get without spending large sums of money. Supports all socket 478 Pentium 4's, onboard ATI 9100 IGP, and 180w external brick PSU. The only possible fan would be Shuttle's I.C.E. fan which is already really quiet.

Newegg Link

Shuttle ST62K
 
navicaph said:
I think the Shuttle ST62K will be the closest thing to fanless-silent you will get without spending large sums of money. Supports all socket 478 Pentium 4's, onboard ATI 9100 IGP, and 180w external brick PSU. The only possible fan would be Shuttle's I.C.E. fan which is already really quiet.

Newegg Link

Shuttle ST62K
The Zen definitely looks like the way to go. :cool: You're never going to get the other Shuttle SFFs quiet when Shuttle specs the SilenX PSU fan @ 33dBa! I know you can mod a 92mm fan for the one exhaust on the ICE cooling, because I have seen someone do it. Don't remember how hard it was...
 
Ah-hah, thanks for that suggestion.. not having a PSU inside should help dramatically. If I use the onboard video, and go for a quiet HD I should be at close to zero sound.

What about hunting down a silent or very quiet Hard disk? Anything else that could go wrong putting it together that would turn it noisy again?
 
are there any particular models that are quieter than others? I suppose quiet and slower go together.. ideally I'd be able to write out 30Mb/sec so maybe my spec isn't too demanding? Are there any silent computer sites that rate HDs on measured sound results?
 
Hoonis said:
are there any particular models that are quieter than others? I suppose quiet and slower go together.. ideally I'd be able to write out 30Mb/sec so maybe my spec isn't too demanding? Are there any silent computer sites that rate HDs on measured sound results?

Go here

Silent PC Review
 
Icewind- thanks for that link. Fantastic information there. I'll do the zen mods as shown in the review documents there. Underclocking a higher spec chip also appeals to me :)
 
SPCReview is the best for everything related to quieting your system.

If you ever want to know anything about a hard drive, go to StorageReview.com. They have a searchable database that allows you to compare every spec. They don't list seek noise, unfortunately, just idle. However, they do give their opinion on seek noise.

For Jesus's sake, my internet is slow! I was going to link to it. Here we go (it was Outlook screwing up things): http://www.storagereview.com/php/benchmark/bench_sort.php

Probably go with either the Samsung or one of the Seagate Barracuda 7200.7s. http://www.storagereview.com/php/be...&devID_0=217&devID_1=266&devID_2=261&devCnt=3 Typical choices on SPCReview.
 
Ive done a 92mm fan inside the case on the ice. There are some issues with what size (depth) fan converter you use in conjunction to how long your optical drive is. But if using space around the back of the case is not a problem it is extremely easy to use a fan converter on the back of the case. Using an 80mm to 120mm converter and a silent 120mm fan would realy keep up the cooling with less noise.
 
Back
Top