Seeking a decent traditional gamut 24" with bonus babbling

Sanfam

Limp Gawd
So here goes the post. I've spent some time over the past few months dwelling over an upgrade for my workstation. I did the research, attempted to design a system around my usage habits and optimized the entire environment to best fit what I believed I'd be trying to do. Part of my plan was, down the road, to buy a 24" LCD to compliment my 19" standard aspect Samsung 930b. While it's nothing terribly fancy, the screen was decent enough to carry me through as the compliment to a color-accurate CRT. Not too long ago, my CRT bit the dust, shoving me into actively searching for a new display. Roughly two weeks ago, I purchased a Dell 2408WFP.

Upon receiving the LCD, I discovered two issues. First, hardware trouble shunted me off into VGA as there are "recorded issues" with using this product on some Nvidia G92-derived video cards. (Doh!) The second problem was less good. It's a wide-gamut display, and what I did not manage to gather during my research was the impact this would make on my non-color managed applications. That is, I didn't even come remotely close to understanding the true impact shoving one color space into another would make in casual interaction. So while this issue is not technically a failing of the product, it does present me with a bit of trouble (namely blown-out colors and over-saturated warm tones)

It's worth mentioning that I run Windows XP. This is, I believe, the source of so much of my trouble right now. While it offers some level of color management, it does not make the correct assumptions (and resulting applications) with regard to non-tagged color across the entirety of the OS. This leaves me with a display that is nearly flawless in color managed applications, but somewhat brutal on the eyes in anything else. I'm still somewhat hesitant to upgrade to Vista as my day-to-day experience using it has never been terribly satisfying. I've got Leopard installed (in some form) on this machine, but I have not had the time to refine it into a truly stable platform ready for daily use.

My third issue is just a grumpy one. My Pantone Huey is displaying the usual failing: significant red cast, so it's in the process of being RMAed, so I lack a means of calibrating the 2408. Damn these electronics!

So I'm left either looking to keep the LCD and live with the wide gamut as an on-again/off-again problem until I transition to an operating system with better color management, or I can search for an alternative.

Requirements:
24"-ish, 1920x1200
"Limited" Gamut (~85%/traditional)
Matte-finish/non-glossy panel. Glossy bezels are fine.
Preferrably PVA, MVA, or IPS.
Uses: Design, RAW photo processing, some gaming (typically RTS and the likes), video editing, movie viewing.
<$650

Are there any other 24" displays out there which meet this criteria? Given how much of my work is design-based, I'm desperately hoping to avoid falling back to a TN panel, and I have been unable to hook up with an older Apple Cinema Display from a reputable source.

Should I just move up to Vista and stop bitching?

There are some options:

LG L246wp
BenQ FP241W
NEC 2470WNX
EIZO s2431

I just recently bought the EIZO, because everyone is very positive about this monitor except it being somewhat expensive. The NEC 2470WNX uses the same panel and should be as good as the EIZO one.

Moving to vista isn't going to solve the wide gamut colors. Wide gamut monitors just SUCK big time for users that work in sRGB. I just returned my HP LP2475 because I couldn't get it to view the colors right.

the NEC and Eizo are both high on my "want" list, but are too far above my range of affordability to be considered viable options. I managed to get the dell at $480, so it was quite a steal for me. The BenQ is increasingly difficult to find new, but I've been looking around. I'll most certainly keep an eye out for the LG, as well. It seems like the best bet for my price range.

@debaaszelluf:

I'd like to buy the S2431W too, but I've one question: Have you suffered any of the problems described in the Prad.de review when viewing 1080p videos?

From Prad.de:
Although the monitor does display a picture at 1080p, this appears with an additional frame at the side. On the other hand, 720p playback does not present any problem.

Thanks very much in advance.

BenQ FP241VW. Similar to FP241W but with AMA feature (MPRT ready). It's a MVA panel and gives vibrant color. You can get it free shipping from BenQ now. promo code freeship10.

@debaaszelluf:

I'd like to buy the S2431W too, but I've one question: Have you suffered any of the problems described in the Prad.de review when viewing 1080p videos?

From Prad.de:

Thanks very much in advance.
Anyone? It maybe in a future, I will connect a Xbox 360 or PS3 to the monitor and I want to know if it will operate properly :(

Having purchased a Soyo 24D6 and a BenQ FP241VW, I give the BenQ my strongest recommendation for purchase. The stand may be silly in a dual-monitor arrangement, but the display is fantastic. Once I configured the brightness to appropriate levels and made some slight color changes, it was perfect. HDMI input makes connection to other devices easy and it has no shortage of ports of any sort.

Back