See what $320 gets you these days :D

Sniper_Merc

[H]ard|Gawd
Finally made the plunge to C2D with the cheapest Allendale chip at newegg for just $114. Note that these are replacement parts for some that died on me (see sig)

How about 1400 MHz OC in 10 min worth of work...... :eek:
(ok so it took me lot longer to actually install everything but it did only take 10 min to get it from stock 1.8 Ghz to 3.2 GHz)

Buddy of mine heard about my success with the little ol allendale chiper and hit the submit button within an hour on identical parts.

Core 2 duo E6300 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819115013
MSI P6N SLI FI http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813130082
Gskill 2x1 GB DDR2 800 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820231098

3dmk 2k5 score beat a $970 core 2 quad :eek: 8607 vs 8728, my epenis is now HUGE!!!!
(yeah i know it's synthetic but what the hell :) )
Recent test over at THG, http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/02...-6000-have-any-kick-left/page6.html#synthetic
Mine, http://service.futuremark.com/compare?pcm05=875748

cpuz_allendale.jpg

new_intel_build_complete%20003%20(Large).jpg

more_new_intel_build_complete%20002%20(Large).jpg

Intel pwnz

- JT

I still find it hard to believe that Intel is beating AMD on the low end for price/performance ratio, especially if you overclock.

I think the world is coming to an end now lol.

who makes that water block? I take it that it doesnt require mobo removal to take it off.

seriously i would punch you in the face if oyu were next to me, imm sooooo jealous i bought an E6660 and i was only able to oc to 3.0ghz (due to motherboard) but still! gahhhh i want to be at 3.6ghz sigh. oh well what can you do.

but thumbs upp!

seriously i would punch you in the face if oyu were next to me, imm sooooo jealous i bought an E6660 and i was only able to oc to 3.0ghz (due to motherboard) but still! gahhhh i want to be at 3.6ghz sigh. oh well what can you do.

but thumbs upp!

Hah thanks :D

but thumbs upp!
i can only hit 2.98 with my e6300. but thats at 1:1 with my ram at 852. only thing thats holdin me back :p

still a good overclock...especially when my timings are 5-3-7-4

Holly shite! $189.99 for Northbridge, Southbridge, VGA and CPU block with that kit?
:eek:

Yup, was $175 when I got it last year, gone up a bit, its good kit for the price, i did a lot of research on it and especially the CPU block. The CPU block in one test was second only to the best one available at the time so figure I got a decent deal.

One major thing of note about that kit, DO NOT follow the instructions on where it says to plug the 120 MM fan into the CPU Fan header on the motherboard, I did that temporarly till I could get it hooked up to my Fanbus and wound up blowing out the trace on the motherboard that feeds that header, I got lucky that it was an external trace and was able to fix it with some really small wire, super glue and a piece of tape but it still ticked me off. See pic below.

http://snipershide.us/images/sniper/new_puter_oct_2006/fuckup/fan_fuckup.jpg

Well, now that the new sys has had a chance to settle in for a few days, decided to try a higher FSB, 3.2 GHz seems to be about the limit of this chip but the FSB seems to have more potential.

Bumped the core to 1.35, NB to 1.35 and HTT to 8%. jumped right to 400 MHz FSB x8 multi and she booted right up, Gained about 700 MB/s in sandra memory bandwidth, shes sittin right around the 7700 mark now.

Temps are bit higher, 33C Idle, 59C load after looping 3dmk 2k1 all night with the fans on low.

cpuz_400_fsb.jpg

Is this accomplished only thru water cooling? Lets say i decided to buy that same processor, could i accomplish similar if not a bit lower speed with a HSF solution?

Is this accomplished only thru water cooling? Lets say i decided to buy that same processor, could i accomplish similar if not a bit lower speed with a HSF solution?

Yep, water cooling, some guys with high end air are actually getting better clocks than me, tho theirs wont be as quiet as mine ;).

Since you have the pump/reservoir mounted inside the case, could you tell me the height of the reservoir? (bottom of the base to top of the res.)
I want to know if I can fit this in my case as well.

Also, how come you're not using the southbridge water block? Video card doesn't let you?

Since you have the pump/reservoir mounted inside the case, could you tell me the height of the reservoir? (bottom of the base to top of the res.)
I want to know if I can fit this in my case as well.

Also, how come you're not using the southbridge water block? Video card doesn't let you?

The height on mine wouldnt help you much as I modded the reservoir and the base, one to make the base smaller, 2 to move the res to more of a straight line with the pump and 3 its higher than it was by about 1/4".

I also just recently removed the relay switch that allowed the water pump to turn on with the system, it was turning out to be more of a pain than it was worth, it also controlled the lights under the res. The pump is now hardwired into the 110 volt input line for the system which basicly means it runs even tho the system shut down and even power removed from the power supply, it's handy that way for flushing the system, which I just happend to do a few days ago.

As for not using the southbridge block, there wasn't a proper mounting plate included with the kit to do it on such a new motherboard, although I am going to build one, due to some recent problems with the system I do need to cool that southbridge, it runs hot.

Yep, water cooling, some guys with high end air are actually getting better clocks than me, tho theirs wont be as quiet as mine ;).

Mine is pretty quiet and look at my sig. I can even boot at 3.6 GHz :eek:

Some batches are better than others. The L640A45x batch seems to be the golden one to get (mine is L640A459, Bio-Hazard is L640A458 and he hold the record of stable 3.55 GHz on water). Those E4300 are nice ocers inded :)

The height on mine wouldnt help you much as I modded the reservoir and the base, one to make the base smaller, 2 to move the res to more of a straight line with the pump and 3 its higher than it was by about 1/4".

I also just recently removed the relay switch that allowed the water pump to turn on with the system, it was turning out to be more of a pain than it was worth, it also controlled the lights under the res. The pump is now hardwired into the 110 volt input line for the system which basicly means it runs even tho the system shut down and even power removed from the power supply, it's handy that way for flushing the system, which I just happend to do a few days ago.

As for not using the southbridge block, there wasn't a proper mounting plate included with the kit to do it on such a new motherboard, although I am going to build one, due to some recent problems with the system I do need to cool that southbridge, it runs hot.

Thanks for the reply. I understand what you're saying, but could you maybe give me a rough estimate of how tall it is without modifications?

Well, water cooling is always an overclockers friend. This kit is doing some decent numbers, but would be even lower with a 120.2 radiator.... there is a lot of heat entering the system through the cpu, gpu, nb and the single 120mm radiator is a bit small...

If he were to spend $45 and get a 120.2 radiator, he would see his temps drop into the mid 20's idle. and mid 40's load.

If you want to get these overclocks with a HSF, you need to get a qualify fan like the Thermalright 120, or Tuniq Tower.

I bought an OEm 4300 for 97+5 ship. An Abit Ib9 for 87 and after rebate it's $66 shipped. I bought Tracers PC 8000 I think for about $100 :)

Not as cheap as AMD but pretty close and MUCH more power!

Well, water cooling is always an overclockers friend. This kit is doing some decent numbers, but would be even lower with a 120.2 radiator.... there is a lot of heat entering the system through the cpu, gpu, nb and the single 120mm radiator is a bit small...

If he were to spend $45 and get a 120.2 radiator, he would see his temps drop into the mid 20's idle. and mid 40's load.

If you want to get these overclocks with a HSF, you need to get a qualify fan like the Thermalright 120, or Tuniq Tower.

Actually I plan on going to a 120x3 rad at some point, just didn't feel it was necessary yet.

Well as yet another addendum to all the crap I've had to deal with in this computer since the original build back in October of 2006.... (see the website for details if interested)

One of the hoses in the water system decided to kink on me and basically shut off the flow, can see it in the first pic below, it's the one with the wire ties on it, it caused some damage to my 7900GS, and to the motherboard itself. Can not maintain the 3.2 GHz overclock any longer, and the vid card had some corruption issues while in game and would usually crash out within 10 minutes.

So now I'm backed down to 2.5 GHz on the overclock, as for the 7900 GS, I traded some ram I had for an x1900xtx that a friend had laying around and am now back up and running. (pic)

The 7900 GS itself is kinda funny story, (if loosing $229 vid card is funny that is... ). Back in February one of the solid copper ramsinks that I epoxied to the bga ram on the card popped off, causing some overheat issues on that chip (pic) well I didn't have any more epoxy at the time so I used the old method of super glue on the corners and dot of AS5 in the center, worked great, hell it worked better than I ever thought it would. Flash forward to July this year and the problems detailed above and I couldn't get any new ramsinks locally and didn't want to wait for ones to come in on order online. So I break out the pliers and start twisting. Every single one of the sinks with Arctic Silver Epoxy came right off without damaging the BGA package at all, the one sink with the superglue and AS5, well wasn't so lucky, the ram came off with it lol. (pic) I knew it was a possibility that some damage may occur while getting the sinks off, I however did not think the one with superglue would be held on far better than the epoxied ones.

I have had nothing but a run of bad luck since I started my rebuild on this system back in october, here's the highlights.

1. AMD Dual core optimizer screwed me several times.
2. Webcam mic caused system not to boot.
3. 120 mm fan blew out trace on motherboard.
4. Overheat due to plugging in relay switch into 5 volt instead of 12 volt line, pump wouldn't start.
5. Leak due to over stressed tubing.
6. Power supply started to fail (520 watt vantec stealth)
7. Newer 320 gig WD drive failed (rma'd)
8. PCI SATA controller failed (rma'd)
9. Replaced Asrock board with Epox board only to later have the Epox die on me.
10. BGA ramsink popped off vid card short circuited all USB ports on Epox board.
11. Moved to omaha and had serious issues with stability, system probably took an electrostatic discharge during the move.
12. Trusty Dlink router also died on me during move.
13. RMA hell with newegg on 1 gig of Corsair ram and the Epox board.
14. RMA hell with Corsair on the other gig of ram.
15. Hose kink causes damage to vid card and motherboard.
16. I hate computers....

hmmm so I was reading through the posts of this thread and wondering 'gee I wonder if I would ever try water cooling someday...' well I guess you've convinced me that the answer is "no" because I sure don't want to have to worry about a leak.

sorry about your troubles :(

hmmm so I was reading through the posts of this thread and wondering 'gee I wonder if I would ever try water cooling someday...' well I guess you've convinced me that the answer is "no" because I sure don't want to have to worry about a leak.

sorry about your troubles :(

I still think water cooling is worth it, I haven't had a leak that actually caused damage to system, the damned hose kinking was completely out of the blue cause the system was running for over a month without issues.

Water cooling rules, been running my different setups for years without a single leak............:eek: They can't be beat for performance vers noise levels when OC'ing.

You can also use non-conductive fluids... that way if there is a leak, nothing is damaged.

How come you dont drop the multiplier down to 7 up front side bus to say 480 and i will almost bet you hit 3.4 with it. Thats what I run mine at on air

Rather expensive fluids. MCT-5, PC-ICE, FLUID XP+ are all non conductive fluids available.

Very nice setup...

How come you dont drop the multiplier down to 7 up front side bus to say 480 and i will almost bet you hit 3.4 with it. Thats what I run mine at on air

Chip and or board doesn't seem to like any fsb over 1333/333, not that im complaining mind you.

Back