Security Tip of the Day

HardOCP News

[H] News
If you are being interviewed on TV about computer security, it is generally a good idea not to have your passwords written on the whiteboard in full view of the camera. Thanks to Edward C. for the image.

Yeah, that's really funny. I *think* I may have seen that before, but each time, it still makes me chuckle. It's kinda like that video where the police officer it fake typing and it's horribly obvious it's fake. I like goof ups like these.

This just makes me glad that none of the people in my office have whiteboards. They must rely on that sticky note pinned to the wall that reads, "Password1."

There must be a character covered by that paper (or she changed it), I couldn't log in. ;)

That's priceless.

In today's age, passwords can be a real pain. I use a MS Excel 2010 sheet with my logins, passwords, and notes. I have password protected the file and being 256-bit encryption, I feel pretty safe.

Glad my memory serves me well when it comes to passwords :D. That is funny though lol.

Why u wouldn't use LastPass is beyond me. Just gotta remember one safe password, rest handled by LastPass. IE/Chrome integration...

Yeah, I use Lastpass for web stuff and KeePass for the rest of my logons.

I've seen this sorta thing at a couple important places. Was it bad to not mention that writing their passwords on a board is a bad idea?

Why u wouldn't use LastPass is beyond me. Just gotta remember one safe password, rest handled by LastPass. IE/Chrome integration...

I've never looked at lastpass, but how could it possibly be safe to give a company all your username and passwords? :confused:

That is funny. I use to not write down name/pass at all for teh interwebs, but now that I am oldish and certain game titles demand 2-4 name/pass words to use their services per game... ugh... I do now except my personal info like e-mails. For example.. I need a Name/pass to log on Steam - then name/pass to log-on Game - then name/pass for the Game's forums and sometimes name/pass to steam's support if you have trouble with said game... really... really ?? ( For 1 game).

Anyways... cheers.

Yea it's getting to the point where I have to actually make notes in secret places to keep up with all the logins. I force myself to memorize all needed logins at work though, which requires trying to keep them as sync'd as possible. I've seen bad things happen at places when colleagues get your logins, it may seem harmless enough when you just lay em out in the open until someone tries to play a joke on you by sending your boss a resignation letter under your name :eek:

Didn't happen to me, but what a cluster rofl...

KeePass for me here -- I have my database on drop box, such that if i need to I can pull the encrypted database to my phone and fire up the android version of KeePass.

No matter where I am - I have access to all my passwords in a secure manner :)

So glad that the login was highlighted in red to stand out better for the cameras ;)

I've never looked at lastpass, but how could it possibly be safe to give a company all your username and passwords? :confused:

Because it's encrypted and salted at your end. They can't decrypt it. Plus, you can add functionality like requiring a Yubikey, disallow logins from any other countries etc. They covered it on episode 256 of Security Now on Leo LaPorte's TWIT network.

too bad some scientist already invented a mind reading device that can take your passwords.

Quoting Steve: "Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha *gasp* hahahahahahahahahahaha."

Lock your workstation, lest your Facebook account be trolled! :D

Some people in the thread are just as bad... I use a total of 9 accounts with 15char passwords at work and they are all different... I don't need an addon or excel spreadsheet to remember them lol

Back