Security over public wifi?

CoW]8(0)

[H]ard|Gawd
Is there a way to securely check email/make purchases over a unencrypted public wifi connection?

Establish some sort of VPN to a network you do trust?

I just pipe specific ports over putty to my server at home ( via ssh ), and call it a day.

well any site your purchasing on should already be HTTPS and secured from your computer to their servers, the Inet connection doesnt matter so much.

as for email - no.. unless as said you set up some kind of VPN to another system which will use the WiFi to connect to....

you haven't mentioned your OS. there are many vpn technology. you got SSL, IPSEC, and PPTP. If you want to encrypt your tunnel to your home router to a different website, I suggest SSL. Ssl can be easily be routable than IPSEC. PPTP always had few security flaws, but nothing major. If you want quick and dirty, use the dynamic routing feature in SSH. SSH is sock5 compatible.

well any site your purchasing on should already be HTTPS and secured from your computer to their servers, the Inet connection doesnt matter so much..

Yuppers.

If you're worried about all other types of traffic...you can setup a VPN tunnel to a PC in your home. If you don't want to go through the steps of learning that, there's an easier solution..setup Hamachi VPN at home and use that.

Or..if you don't want to utilize a VPN from home....there are some VPN security services you can use for open hotspots.....free even..such as AnchorFree HotSpot.
http://www.anchorfree.com/
*Note...the installer defaults to a little adware banner called Dealio bar...just uncheck that during the install.

Thanks for the link. But I can't seem to get to the site at all. I've been trying to get there for a few days now with no luck. I'm beginning to think the public wifi I'm connected to has blocked that website for some reason.

I found hotspot shield somewhere else and when I run it, I have the error message "Daemon Start Error".

Back