Security Holes Discovered in iPhones, iPads

HardOCP News

[H] News
Oh look, a new security iHole has been discovered in the iPhone and iPad. Apple says they are working on a patch to fix the flaw...it will be magical and you will be grateful. :D

With the security hole, an attacker can get malicious software onto a device by tricking its owner into clicking an infected PDF file. Germany's Federal Office for Information Security called the flaws "critical weaknesses" in Apple's iOS operating system.

Adobe, again. When are we just going to say enough?

Not trying to defend Adobe but Flash and PDF are ubitquitous and multi-platform, they are going to get the attention of hackers. When it comes to PDF there are plenty of readers true but then Adobe's free readers are probably the most widely used. If another reader were widely used I would imagine that you'd see it attacked as often as well.

I'm nearly certain that the vast majority of readers here haven't actually held and used an idevice for much length of time and haven't a clue that this "vulnerability" means the devices can be jailbroken. it's of critical importance to Apple, not so much to its customers. dr.stevil has the right idea...

I'm nearly certain that the vast majority of readers here haven't actually held and used an idevice for much length of time and haven't a clue that this "vulnerability" means the devices can be jailbroken. it's of critical importance to Apple, not so much to its customers. dr.stevil has the right idea...

I think most readers here understand the concept of white list security and buffer overflows leading to arbitrary code execution.

No front page news about Android malwares though right? :D

Google doesn't claim Android is free from malware. The reason Apple always gets mentioned in this news is because of the sheer arrogance of both the userbase and the company in how "secure" their platform is.

Google doesn't claim Android is free from malware. The reason Apple always gets mentioned in this news is because of the sheer arrogance of both the userbase and the company in how "secure" their platform is.
interestingly, the *only* time I hear about this is on the front page news subforum of [H] and infrequently in the apple products sub-forum.

but if you really believe that to be the cause of the constant articles and vitriol against apple users on this forum I'm not gonna bother arguing other than to say I see it differently

+1

At least more frequent hacks validate Apple's increased market share. Welcome to the mainstream Apple users.

I wonder how Apple is going to deliver tutorials on how not to fall for malware? I mean even having such a thing may imply that some of their customers might be less tech savvy than Apple wants to make them think they are.

+5. Apple is arrogant about their security. Although, this will just lead to re-banning adobe products on i devices.

Oh look, a new security iHole has been discovered in the iPhone and iPad. Apple says they are working on a patch to fix the flaw...it will be magical and you will be grateful. :D

This isn't really anything new or shocking, they constantly demonstrate how weak the security is at the hacker conventions.

i love how they say a new hole opened up.
IT WAS THERE THE WHOLE TIME..... Its just finally been discovered and exploited.
Not that anyone ever turns around comex's Jailbreakme vulnerabilities into proper virus.
The last build into virii was after the move to a new ios # and it was a media grabbing proof of concept.

Not trying to defend Adobe but Flash and PDF are ubitquitous and multi-platform, they are going to get the attention of hackers. When it comes to PDF there are plenty of readers true but then Adobe's free readers are probably the most widely used. If another reader were widely used I would imagine that you'd see it attacked as often as well.

I know, I know. But they should be able to at least lock a fricken text document down.

Is there even an alternative reader for iOS?

interestingly, the *only* time I hear about this is on the front page news subforum of [H] and infrequently in the apple products sub-forum.

but if you really believe that to be the cause of the constant articles and vitriol against apple users on this forum I'm not gonna bother arguing other than to say I see it differently

No one is forcing you to read the front page news or the Apple products forum if you don't like reading negative press being reported from outside sources/articles that are not the [H]. Steve and the users here to my knowledge don't make the news, they just post their findings. Would you prefer to NOT be in the know about these issues?

Android gets its own fair share of bad news. Try looking in the Mobile Phone forum if you don't believe me There's been a thread or two about exploits being found on Android.

FYI, there is a difference between a USER and a ZEALOT.

No one is forcing you to read the front page news or the Apple products forum if you don't like reading negative press being reported from outside sources/articles that are not the [H]. Steve and the users here to my knowledge don't make the news, they just post their findings. Would you prefer to NOT be in the know about these issues?

Android gets its own fair share of bad news. Try looking in the Mobile Phone forum if you don't believe me There's been a thread or two about exploits being found on Android.

FYI, there is a difference between a USER and a ZEALOT.
I wasn't referring to the fact that news is posted or even discussed or whatever people want to call it, I was referring to his comment, "the sheer arrogance of both the userbase and the company in how "secure" their platform is." I said the only time I hear about this so-called arrogance is from posters on this forum. I don't hear it on other forums and I don't hear it from the apple users on this forum and I don't hear it in real life. I know many mac users. In fact, probably everyone I interact with on a daily basis has one apple product or another. I don't know a single college kid who doesn't have at least an ipod and usually a macbook. Tons of iphones and rarely an ipad. And that's probably a fairly common thing on a college campus. But I've never heard anyone of them brag about it, think it meant anything other than a slim, light, long battery life. I don't know what happens in the flyover states, but where I'm at everyone has a high end device so acting smug about an idevice wouldn't even register...no one would pick up on why you were being smug.

I bet the college kids around here don't even buy their macbooks. Their parents probably bought it. I suspect that the people buying the stuff are different from the group using the stuff. That's be an interesting statistics.

Back