Security Guide

This is a very good start. I didn't have much time to read everything, but this is definately a great collection of articles.

I just wish more people would review AVG 7 (paid) instead of / as well as AVG 6 (free).

A link maybe:
http://www.sans.org/top20/

And you might want to explain this statement a little better:
"One important thing to remember is NEVER have 2 anti-virus programs running at the same time. If you currently have one and you want to try out another completely uninstall the other. The same goes for firewall as well."

Next:
"There are no real big differences between different firewalls."
That is an incorrect statement, many different firewall reviews have been put up, both in term of successful blocking external vs. internal and in useablity (think ZoneAlarm vs. TinyFW). It's not just about "resource usage and the UI"

Re: Hardware firewalls
"These would work much better then any software firewall."
But they do nothing to block applications that start inside the firewall, which a software firewall would.

Lastly - what level of user is the guide aimed at?

Thanks for the suggestions and the guide is basically geared towards everyone. More towards home users who don't know much about security though. The reason I wanted to do this at first is on many forums I run into people whos PC's are filled with spyware and/or viruses. So with my guide they can clean up their PC and then protect themselves.

Also my guide is more of links to other recources and some tips that I feel ought to be included, but are not in any of the links I provided.

And you might want to explain this statement a little better:
"One important thing to remember is NEVER have 2 anti-virus programs running at the same time. If you currently have one and you want to try out another completely uninstall the other. The same goes for firewall as well."

How exactly would you want me to explain it better?

KoolDrew said:
How exactly would you want me to explain it better?

how about by explaining WHY it's bad to have 2 anti-virus programs running... or 2 firewalls... etc.

There are two main veins of thought in preventing spyware:
1) Don't use Internet Explorer - Use Mozilla Firefox
2) Don't click "yes" or "accept" to every warning or popup. If you aren't expecting it, deny it and back out of the site. Basically, don't run anything unless you are doubly sure you want to be running it.

There are entire books written on this topic, or even each individual topic, so, good luck. :)

We've got the beginnings of a Security FAQ. Please roll your thoughts and ideas into it so we can get it off the ground. Everything I've read in this thread looks good by the way.

Back