Security field advice

Rel1c

Weaksauce
I'm currently in the military and persuing a degree. IT security is where I plan to end up, and management is my goal. With my schedule a local college is out of the question. My ultimate plans college wise would be an MBA. Would this course be a good candidate to cover my current IT ambitions? Any thoughts on completing this degree with a minor in business and then getting my MBA? Does it sound reasonable? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

http://www.umuc.edu/prog/ugp/majors/ifsm.shtml

Work towards gettings your IT security related schooling first. After a couple of years experience you will be better prepared , and have more time to tackle the MBA. Goodluck.

First off, nobody jumps into security. You need to have a well rounded base before you can specialize. The IFSM degree is a fair base, but its CMIT cousin would be better suited for someone in the trenches. However, you said you want to get into management which means IFSM is what you should probably go into. What I can see happening is you get the IFSM degree and then roll into something like their MS in Computer Systems Management: Information Assurance Track. That said, a CISSP will pretty much be required and I'll tell you from first hand experience with their IFSM courses you will not be prepared for the actual exam. There are some CMIT courses though that will definitely help you out in that area, so be sure to look into those when it comes time for choosing upper level electives.

Thank you all for your advice. I'll take it to heart and take it one step at a time. I have patience and I want to do the field justice. Thanks!

Back