Securing unsecured public wifi connection

glosolir

n00b
I sometimes make use of wireless internet connections at airports, cafes, universities, offices, etc. which are, most of the time, unsecured/unencrypted.

Some of these locations, such as universities and offices, are private in that they assign me a user name and password which grant me access to their connections. However, although these connections require authorization, they are not, as IT departments have informed me, encrypted.

Thus, I would like a simple, user-friendly way to encrypt my sessions - preferably using WPA and not WEP - while using wireless internet connections in public. A programs which requires little configuration and is universal, i.e., works with many connection types and configurations, is ideal.

Thank you in advance.

Pretty much not happening.

If it's that important, plug in, or get a VPN to work.

maybe get into the router and activate WPA/WEP with your password of choice and change it back after your done? :p

As said before a VPN connection to your home computer

Or an SSH Tunnel to a computer running an ssh server at home

Those are some of the things I use.

Alternately if you just need it for browsing try out
http://xerobank.com/xB_browser.html
Once known as torpark. It's firefox configured to run through the tor network and run off a USB key if you so need.

While neat, it does nothing for encrypting the connection between your computer and the access point and beyond. VPN or SSH tunnel to a home or work system is the route to go for this.

While neat, it does nothing for encrypting the connection between your computer and the access point and beyond. VPN or SSH tunnel to a home or work system is the route to go for this.

Hence why I said "if you just need it for browsing".

Is Torpark what I'm looking for? I am aware that Tor allows for anonymous surfing by routing one's requests or sessions through many proxies, however, Malk-a-mite says "it does nothing for encrypting the connection between your computer and the access point and beyond." So my connection will not be encrypted if I use Torpark?

If not, is there a simple, self-standing program that can encrypt my sessions while running? Or is what I am asking for presently unavailable?

If so, is the only solution is to connect remotely to a secured connection? My knowledge on this technology is wanting and my experience is limited to one instance when I used UtlraVNC to remotely connect to a person's PC.

What exactly is Hamachi and can it help me?

Thank you.

You're not going to be able to use any encryption on the WLAN if the AP isn't set up to decrypt it at the other end.
AFAIK the best solution(s) have already been mentioned.

Back