securing a wireless network

aerotive

n00b
Joined
Feb 1, 2005
Messages
49
I have just set up a wireless network for the first time and would like to know if I've missed anything so far as network security goes.

My setup...I have two computers, one connected to a D-Link router by Ethernet cable, then the router connects by Ethernet to a Lingo Voice Over IP Adapter. That then connects via Ethernet to my cable modem.

I have a second computer that connects to the router wirelessly using 802.11g. I have WPA-PSK encryption enabled.

On each computer I'm running Sygate Personal Firewall. The operating system on each PC is Windows XP Home. I've also removed Microsoft Networking from each computer as I don't need to share files or printers between the two computers.

Any recommendations? Anything I've missed?
 
Close off your router to only except the one wireless computer so someone cant get an IP from it. Is the wireless DHCP or statically assigned?
 
Occidio said:
Close off your router to only except the one wireless computer so someone cant get an IP from it. Is the wireless DHCP or statically assigned?

^^ Thats the only problem I could think of. Only problem with that is you can still spoof a MAC easily(even with that they would still have to crack WPA and while I'm sure there is a way, it isn't known or rolled into easy to use programs like airsnort). It just adds another line of defence to keep the nasties out.
 
If you're the type to modify hardware, some AP's can have their signal output lowered. Probably not needed, but it's something else that could be considered.
 
For all the protection you throw up there will be someone out there that can still crack it. Most people (98.5%) of them wont bother though. They know there is always some noob out there they can leach off of easier.
 
Occidio said:
For all the protection you throw up there will be someone out there that can still crack it. Most people (98.5%) of them wont bother though. They know there is always some noob out there they can leach off of easier.

From my experience I agree with this. Too many people running APs at default configs around to worry about someone's WPA enabled home network.
 
I agree. As much as they'll go for the easy target tho, some take a really secure network as a challenge.
 
Back
Top