Secure Gateway for Single Port Access to Network?

Sayth

Gawd
Hey all-knowing hardforum society!

I'm looking for some advice.

Scenario: ME > Internet > Secure Device Port 123456 > Client's Private network > Client PC 5

So the Client network has no access to any internet services except for me to log in and remotely configure their computers for any software updates etc... The only reason for the internet connection is for my external access to their computers.

So my thought would be to buy a router perhaps that is capable of locking down every single port except for 1 or 2. Likely this would need to be done on a router with *nix on it.

What are your thoughts?

Any router/firewall that has the ability to block outgoing ports, and act as VPN endpoint should be fine.

Just deny all in/out traffic on the internal subnet, and setup the VPN to terminate on the gateway device.

Excellent.. So something like this would work theoretically?

For some reason I didn't think of VPN terminating at the router. Guess I didn't realize there were such consumer devices available. <$200 would be ideal.

Cisco RV110W

Excellent.. So something like this would work theoretically?

For some reason I didn't think of VPN terminating at the router. Guess I didn't realize there were such consumer devices available. <$200 would be ideal.

Cisco RV110W

just make sure the client will run on the remote computer..

Awesome. Thanks for the reply. I now see that there are a sh!* ton of consumer level VPN routers both wired and wireless.

I will look into reviews and compare specs now. Wifi is not needed at all so that opens a few more doors.

Thanks again.

Awesome. Thanks for the reply. I now see that there are a sh!* ton of consumer level VPN routers both wired and wireless.

I will look into reviews and compare specs now. Wifi is not needed at all so that opens a few more doors.

Thanks again.

The RVS4000 is a decent unit, installed lots of those.

Back