Second thoughts about not going water...

Phixzet

Limp Gawd
For my 1950X Threadripper build... I purchased the Noctua 14 cooler, with a push-pull fan config.

Under load, the single fan Noctua keeps it pretty close (overall) in CPU temperature... And the noise, depending on the AIO cooler, is often better.

I may do some casual mining to get some payback for my expensive system, not entirely sure though how that will work out.

Anyway, I'm having second thoughts about not going with a AIO setup.

I just want the system to work, ideally for years, without touching it. Is there any AIO out there I can really trust to run reliably, for a long time, under high load, without being loud?

For my 1950X Threadripper build... I purchased the Noctua 14 cooler, with a push-pull fan config.

Under load, the single fan Noctua keeps it pretty close (overall) in CPU temperature... And the noise, depending on the AIO cooler, is often better.

I may do some casual mining to get some payback for my expensive system, not entirely sure though how that will work out.

Anyway, I'm having second thoughts about not going with a AIO setup.

I just want the system to work, ideally for years, without touching it. Is there any AIO out there I can really trust to run reliably, for a long time, under high load, without being loud?

If you take a look at any of my testing on our new system, the 140mm Noctuas really are not far off from the AIO's we have tested so far on it

https://www.hardocp.com/article/2018/01/17/cooler_master_ml120l_rgb_allinone_cpu_review/3

My plan was always... Air for now, and if I were to add another GPU, I'd need a smaller CPU cooler anyway due to the poor design of the Asus Zenith Extreme...

So I guess I could stay with air as I planned, and then later upgrade to the Corsair H150i pro once they have a TR bracket.

I was just thinking that if I were to do that someday, would rather do it now when I can sell the Noctua as NIB and probably get darn near what I paid for it.

Thanks - I hadn't looked at that article actually because it had been advertised as a budget cooler review and cost wasn't my concern really... Figured it was more for low end. But it was a great article that comprised a range of coolers.

If the H150i TR bracket existed today, I probably would have switched up my plans.

Not sure where you live or what electrical costs are but here to run 400 watts load 24/7 costs about £75 a month. So if it costs your £75/month to mine, does the mining make money or cost money?

My kwh rate is about $0.15. Not cheap, but cheaper than some turning a profit. I more want to do it - for now - as a bit of a learning hobby that I probably won't lose money on, and depending how the coins appreciate (or depreciate tbh), I could do alright.

But it's only one GPU and CPU. Not like people who have 7 card rigs...

While it can still be worth doing the return is dramatically less than it was a few years ago. Key is calculating cost vs return .. and you are obviously aware of the costs. :D

And keenly aware how toasty even one computer can make a room - helpful in the winter (now) but not so much in the summer :)

My build is about ready - just awaiting my Fractal R6 which should ship this coming week.

Last Fractal I did was Define R4 and like it lots. I've done several FD builds and always find their cases very nice, but their stock case fans are not so great so I always replace them. Most of my builds are Phanteks .. nice cases with good fans so while sometimes a little higher prices not as expensive as FD are after replacing fans. Too bad FD isn't including their new Venturi HP fans in cases. Their much higher pressure rating means much better airflow against grill and filter resistance. ;)

If Phanteks just offered a reasonably sized case that could take my EATX (lite) motherboard, I would have gone that way.

Ironically I somewhat regret choosing my Asus Zenith Extreme now, but that ship has sailed.

Back