Second Opinions on Build Upgrade

Zhel

n00b
Caught a good deal on some DDR4 ram, so I suppose it's finally time to upgrade from my trusty i5-2500k! Any opinions and advice welcome.

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Primarily gaming. Light streaming & photo/audio creation
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
$700ish or less preferable, $1k tops
3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible.
USA, nowhere near a MicroCenter..boo...
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
Must: CPU, Mobo
Want: PSU, Case, and Keyboard

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
Included on partpicker link, but SDDs, monitor, and video card are being reused
6) Will you be overclocking?
Light if at all necessary
7) What is the max resolution of your monitor? What size is it?
1440p 144hz
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
Asap
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Crossfire or SLI support? eSATA? Onboard video (as a backup or main GPU)? etc.
Nothing needed. Have a second monitor that'll be for browsing etc while gaming.
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?
Free Win10 upgrade. Not sure if it will transfer, and will end up with enough parts for a second computer so not especially worried about getting a new copy.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/tbwLyX

Note that the GPU and small sdd on the list are approximates as I'm not at home at the moment and going by memory.

My general aim from this is to not have to touch the inside of the PC (other than light cleaning) again for another 5+ years, which is about what I got out of my 2500k before upgrading the gpu.

So other details. The current mobo and case I have are mATX and I did not see any x470 motherboards of that size. Add to that I really like my fractal arc mini case and like the look of the meshify. If theres something similar or if I dont need an ATX case I'm open to suggestions.

AMD vs Intel, no real favorite from me.

PSU is older than my 2500k, and while it has the wattage, I'd like something newer and assuredly reliable.

Keyboards I have no real clue with. Mine is an old non mechanical that's worn out. Preferably I'd want something quiet, short keyed, and easy to use for wasd (*cough*esdf) gaming but i know switches are subjective in preference.

If I were to be specific on games I play, currently the most demanding games i play are Civ6 and FFXV. Occasionally jump into Conan Exiles, and have a copy of Far Cry 5 that came with my Samsung SSD. I will.. eventually play through that and assassins creed origins lol.

Any thoughts before I pull the trigger will be welcome!

Looks fine dude, more cores is always a better choice if you plan on streaming, and the 2700x is within 10% of the 8700k in most games.

How addicted to getting 144hz out of that monitor are you? What's your typical target frame-rate?

Looks fine dude, more cores is always a better choice if you plan on streaming, and the 2700x is within 10% of the 8700k in most games.

How addicted to getting 144hz out of that monitor are you? What's your typical target frame-rate?

Good to hear. Wasn't sure about amd vs intel. Or if I'm just thinking 'moar cores/threads!' since I've wished I had gone for an i7 2700k back in the day lol.

Not too addicted. Would be nice yes, but more concerned with minimum frames at the moment as that's what's bothering me with my system currently. 100+ or unnoticeable lag with gsync would definitely be satisfactory for me. I know AC Origins ran rather inconsistent before tweaking settings, and while I couldn't visually tell much with gsync, it made me very nauseous.

I'd swap out that Corsair PSU for an EVGA SuperNOVA G3 or a Seasonic Focus Plus, but that's just me....

At this point PSU choice is just splitting hairs if the reviews show a good unit. Pick your favorite PSU reseller for support. The OEM is Great Wall, and Johnny Guru had nothing but good things to say about the build quality and test results.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story6&reid=528

Thanks for the linked review!

As for Corsair vs others, I've just personally had better luck with Corsair products I've had over the years. I didn't come across any notable comments not recommending the Corsair or the EVGA PSUs, so I just defaulted to the Corsair.

I ended up jumping on the 15% ebay discount and nabbed everything on my list except a keyboard. Now the torture of waiting for the parts to trickle in through the mail lol.

Back