Second issue in Vista...network file copy

djnes

Fully [H]
I spent 3 hours last night on this problem, and I tried every solution I've found online. Hotfixes, disabling the Windows Search Service, disabling IPv6, and disabling the autotuning. Whenever I try copying files to my server from my Vista box, the copy hangs almost right away. If you hit cancel, the box freezes, and you have to hard reset the computer to be able to try again.

This is on my home network, running Server 2003 SP2 and Vista Ultimate, and also occurs at work, going from Vista Business to Server 2003 SP1. I've tried copying from the Vista box to the server on the server...and tried sending files by sitting in front of the Vista boxes. I've tried admin hidden shares and regular drive shares. I've tried large files and small files.

My only solution was to run Filezilla and FTP them to the server(s). I've found 14 page TechNet forums asking for help, and not one of the possible solutions works.

EDIT: I don't believe this to be the "Long Goodbye" issue, as I have no trouble deleting files.

Hm..

I have the same setup as you at home, server running 2003 and Vista Ultimate and I've copied about 200gb worth of data so far from my Vista machine to my server without a problem...

Just a shot in the dark, do you have your latest NIC drivers?

Yep, latest Marvell Yukon drivers on the client, and latest Intel ones on the server. I know it's not a server issue, because I also copied a bunch of data from my wife's XP machine as a test, without issue.

I have mapped drives setup on my vista box, is yours the same or are you just browsing to the share and copying? And does it matter if you are just copying like 10meg or 10gig? Do both lockup?

Doesn't matter the file size. I've tried mapped drives and well as just the UNC paths. I've also tried different file types, such as mp3s, iso images, zip files, etc. Sometmies it will lock up right away, and then after a reboot I can copy a few files before it looks up again.

Only problem I remember about copying files in Vista was the Kaspersky antivirus problem... you running that? If not I have no idea, it works fine for me :)

Hmmmm...and what would that be? I don't recall seeing that option in my travels.

Looks like I have to change/add a DWORD and set it to 0. I'll give that a shot tonight and see if it works. Thanks.

I don't have those registry keys on my Vista box. I can go down to the Rdr section, which isn't there.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Rdr\Parameters

Back