Second GPU not being detected by HiveOS.

DeaconFrost

[H]F Junkie
Hoping this is an easy solution, because I'm a noob to mining and this is making me want to give it up. I'll list my specs below, the problem is, I can't get HiveOS to see my second of two GPUs. I am able to run fine with either one, just not both. Power shouldn't be an issue, and I've swapped riser cards, USB cables, etc. I have zero issues as long as I only try one card. That makes me wonder if it's a BIOS setting.

If I use a single card, no issues (tested with both cards). If I try both, HiveOS only sees the one in slot PCIE16_1. The manual suggests using PCIE16_1 and PCIE16_2 for running dual cards. I'm debating on throwing an SSD in and checking to see if I can get Windows installed and see both cards at ones. The BIOS seems to detect them.

AMD Ryzen 3200G
8 GB SKHynix DDR 4 memory
ASUS ROG Strix B450-F Gaming II
Corsair 750W PSU
MSI 3060 Ti 8 GB
ASUS 2060 12 GB
8 GB flash drive running Hive OS.

It sounds like a bios setting is wrong. Did you enable 4G decoding?

Throwing an m2 ssd into it could cause issues with the pcie lanes. Sometimes forcing earlier pci gens and x4 or x1 instead of auto/x16 will fix things as well. I don't run over 5-6 GPUs per motherboard so usually auto settings on the motherboard works for me and it'll be things like 4g decoding (required), CSM vs UEFI booting that cause issues. I guess if you have it set to x16 pcie speed then that could be an issue. The 3200G has 20 pcie lanes, so sometimes people will do something like run 1 GPU at x16 and put in an m.2 SSD that will take up the other 4 and then they'll have issues with additional GPUs.

Success! I enabled the 4G Encoding, and dug through the BIOS more. The manual states that I should be using slots 1 and 2. However, in the BIOS itself, under GPU Post, there is a note that with AMD Ryzen process with graphics, I should use slots 1 and 3. Moved the second card to 3, and with enabling 4G Encoding, I'm now running on two cards.

Thanks for the suggestions!!

When running iGPU chips on Ryzen boards, you often sacrifice the second physical x16 slot on the board to the iGPU (as it takes the lanes). Replacing with a non-iGPU should let that slot work.

When running iGPU chips on Ryzen boards, you often sacrifice the second physical x16 slot on the board to the iGPU (as it takes the lanes). Replacing with a non-iGPU should let that slot work.
Often the case when using a cpu with no internal graphics BUT using an NVME drive. Had this issue on numerous Intel boards. The slot would take up 4 PCIe lanes.

Back