Second attempt at using PFsense with fios, will this work??

Poplap

Limp Gawd
Hello,

Ok so I have tried to setup Pfsense in the past with my fios router, i cant drill through the wall to get at the Ethernet on the ONT the only access would be running right next to the main power line coming into the house, and i dont like that idea.

Im going to need more of the services that pfsense has so im giving it another shot. what i was thinking this time was to setup the DMZ on the fios router with a static IP for PF and have it just route everything to PF. i would remove all the port forwards other then those used by the set top boxes.

I was wondering if this would work??

Thanks

DMZ will work, but it's not the cleanest method to achieve this.

I would recommend following DSLReport's guides to setting up the Actiontec as a bridge, I did this for about a year before I switched to a cat5e line (with Quantom, I'd be moving anyways eventually I guess.)

The best option is to install that cat5e with a different route or get better sheilded/ESD cat5e and just run it by the power lines if you have to.

Running stp CAT5e would be a bad idea if you are not planning to ground it at some point. STP (Shielded Twisted Pair) is an antenna when not properly configured to drain the shield. 18" separation from power lines is more than enough for long runs, short runs of a couple feet right next to AC power won't bother anything.

I have seen that tut, and i might try that.The problem is i need pf because im doing a site-to-site vpn so that i can connect to it because im moving for a few months and cant bring my network and server stuff with me. and if the power goes out and the ups doesn't last long enough it will be a pain to reconfigure.

Im talking about not even a few inches, the only access point is right next to the 200amp power feed for the house, i could try running around the house to another point which feeds the AC system, but thats not much better. Now there is a grounding rod next to the ONT and the Power Line so i could use that.

Back