Second 290x GPU missing after reboot.

Tanquen

[H]ard|Gawd
Windows 10 two AMD 290x cards.
Asus X79 Deluxe MB.

It used to work and I’ve not played games for a bit but now only the one card is in Device Manager. I can see the second one if I View > Show Hidden devices. It is greyed out and device status is:

Currently, this hardware device is not connected to the computer. (Code 45)

If I pull the card reboot and then put it back in Windows Device Manager and the AMD driver will see it and it works in games but after one or two reboots it's gone again.

Have you tried resetting the bios yet? I would suggest trying that video card in a single card configuration and see what happens. Hope this helps, let us know please.

Have you tried resetting the bios yet? I would suggest trying that video card in a single card configuration and see what happens. Hope this helps, let us know please.

I tried resetting the MB BIOS and that did nothing.

This Asus board and the two cards have always been a little wonky. Like I can use the output on either card but only see the BIOS boot on the card closest to the CPU. I can see it on the other card only if I remove the one closest to the CPU and reboot a bunch of times then the other will wake up or what have you.

They are on water so it’s a pain but either card by itself works as it should.

I was looking at flashing the 290X BIOS as I see there is a slightly newer one and the one they have was the first one to support UEFI. I do think it’s the cards that get in a funky state and or don’t talk to the MB and or Windows. Late last night or early this morning I decided to try the forgotten BIOS switch on the 290X that was not showing up. That worked on the very next reboot. Rebooted a few time and it was still there. I think that setting only changes the fan speeds and the card seemed the same. I then put it back and it’s still there at this morning’s boot up.

I don’t know when it happened as it sad that so few games I play work with crossfire it may have been that way for some time but it was missing from all the Win7 and 10 installs I use. ???

I can’t wait for the Vega 64 to get back to $499-ish. It should be around the 290x in crossfire but like always work. :)

Lasted a few days but today the second card is gone again. I wonder if its the new Windows Hardware Certification Kit stuff in Windows 10? A number of apps stopped working as they don't pass the tests. My NetExtender does not pass Windows HCK testing and stopped working in the last few days. What a pain. :(

What you could do see if it is slot related is swap both cards. If the problem persist maybe used canned air to clean the pcie slots.

I would start with changing the PCIE power plugs on both cards see if that has any influence.

Have you done a google on your motherboard and the word problems behind it see if you can find something that comes close (if it is not in the first 2 pages it is prolly not that common would require you to add some keywords)?

I could try running just the one card. They are on water and I can’t easily just swap PCI slots.

I think it something in the way the cards and the motherboard decide what card is active. Like if I take the primary card out and move the display connections to the card that disappears, it takes a few reboots to get the displays to work at boot up. One of my old motherboards had a setting for the GPU boot order but I don’t see anything like that in the ASUS X79 DELUXE.

It seems to be the MB and or the cards and how they decide if one GPU is active or not.

After the card started to work again with the one cards dip switch set I set it back as it seemed all was well again.

After it went away again I set both cards dip switches. Windows still only showed the one card.

I then set only the missing cards dip switch and Windows again sees the card.

Maybe it help the MB see them as two different cards?

If it keeps working I my swap the dip switches on both cards and see if they keep working.

It's odd as they have been running fine for about 5 years.

I have a custom R9 290X from sapphire (tri - x) and supposedly the switch on my card is for legacy or uefi bios compatibility. I have had some problems on my card with the Ryzen motherboard where it would not be recognized and fails to launch D3D games (reboots would fix this).
I asked for a new bios but supposedly the one I had was already the latest.

I have a custom R9 290X from sapphire (tri - x) and supposedly the switch on my card is for legacy or uefi bios compatibility. I have had some problems on my card with the Ryzen motherboard where it would not be recognized and fails to launch D3D games (reboots would fix this).
I asked for a new bios but supposedly the one I had was already the latest.

I know the 290X cards I have had the first firmware to support UEFI but the dip switch was just for the fan profile. It's still working this morning with the secondary card in the cool and quiet mode.

Back