Seasonic SS-1050XM2 no 8pin PCIe, only 6+2

shilent

Limp Gawd
I wasn't sure if I should post this in GPU section or PSU.

So I've been having the random black screen crash when gaming on my Vega 56. Most search results and resolutions ends up being a power supply issue. From daisy chaining a 8pin and switching to 2x8pin, or upgrading the PSU was usually the fix.

I have a SS-1050XM2 which should be pretty good, and I'm using 2x8 PCIe connectors BUT, the 8 pin PCIe connectors that came with my PSU are more like 6+2 connectors. There's only 6 wires, and on the modular PSU end, I only see six pins with two being blank. In the end, my PSU is only providing a total of 12 pins instead of 16.

I'm thinking if I can get some real 8pin to 8pin PCIe connectors, this could solve my problem, worth a shot. And at the same time I can get some nice sleeved ones too.

Anyone know of some high quality ones that's compatible with my PSU? The ones I see at Cablemod.com are the same 6+2 connectors.

Hello Shilent,

Thank you for your message and sorry for this issue.

We do not have 8 pins connector on component side due to compatibility needed for all GPU's on markets. For Cablemod.com, you can find a 8 pins connector by using their shop configurator.
If your issue can't be solve with such cable, please do not hesitate to contact us to start your RMA.

Thank you.
Best Regards,

It's not going to really help you because of the way the 8-pin PCI-E connector is designed. 3 of the wires are 12v, 3 of them are ground, and two of them are sense wires. The only purpose of the sense connectors is to tell the GPU how much power it can draw from the PCI-E connector, and does not actually transfer power. So regardless of what you do, there are still only 3 wires carrying 12 volt power and 3 wires carrying ground.

Are you overclocked at all? If you are, go back to stock and see if the issues remain. If they do, I'm more inclined to think you have a defective GPU or PSU rather than a wiring problem. Run some CPU and GPU stability tests as well.

Thanks for the replies.

Seasonic rep, I think my PSU is fine so no RMA is needed. I was wondering if different cables could help.

Tsumi, was overclocked at first so I put everything back to stock, same result.

My main question/concern for creating this thread was about the PCIe 8 pin. My question was answered. I no longer have to wonder if replacing them could help.

Back