Seasonic S12-430 or S12-500

computergeek22

Limp Gawd
Which psu would be best? I am looking to make this new computer last me for a while. It will be a non-sli setup. I was wondering which would be the best power supply. Price is an issue so I don't want to go with the 500 watt unless it is really needed to allow my comp to last out new updates like more powerful graphics cards/processor etc... I also want it to be silent so the seasonics are a must. If I will have to update my power supply in the future anyway then I guess the 430 watt isn't a bad solution. I'm planning to overclock and this is MOST likely what my computer will be looking like:

Amd Opteron 170 or 165
A8R-MVP or DFI NF4 Ultra-D
2GB G.SKILL Memory
Nvidia 7800GT
Western Digital raptor 74Gb *
ANtec p180 3x 120mm fans *
Scythe ninja w/nexus 120mm fan *
2 DVD-RW drives *
X-FI XtremeMusic *
Zalman VF700-CU

*I have already.
Fan controller

right now newegg's got the s12-500 for $104 after a $25 rebate, so i think that's the way to go. the s12-430 is $99 (no rebate)

Well I get charged tax at newegg. Thus w/tax + the rebate it would still be 120 bucks which is only 3 bucks cheaper that on a vendor at pricewatch so there's no use going that way....

If you really want to be forward looking....then yeah the 500w.

Get the 500. It will allow you room for future cards, or even SLI. I decided to get the S12-600 recently, and am loving it.

Are SeaSonics really that quiet? How are they on reliability? I have been using Enermax Noisetakers for a while and they are pretty quiet but I am building an HTPC so I need it to be super silent and reliable. Recomendations?

Defective said:
Are SeaSonics really that quiet? How are they on reliability? I have been using Enermax Noisetakers for a while and they are pretty quiet but I am building an HTPC so I need it to be super silent and reliable. Recomendations?

Seasonic S12 then the rating just depends on the system.

As far as the power requirements go, the system will be fine with a 430W. I am just concerned about the noise and reliability. I am building this system for my dad and he will be moving so it wont be close to me. I want this system as solid as I can get it.

The fan on my S12-500 never goes above 800RPM, and the PSU never gets hot, even when my sig system is under full load. S12 PSUs are great.

The 430W version is plenty of juice, but doesn't come with a 6pin PCI-E connector. The 500W comes with 2.

i'd take a long hard look at the enermax liberty series. just to make your decision even harder ;)

davidhammock200 said:
DFI requires 480W+ for their N4 mobos, so go with the 500W.

That's complete nonsense. Marketing fluffery.

The number and type of components that connect to the motherboard, or that go into the system determine how much power you need. For the setup listed, a single opteron, single HDD, single video card, etc, would eat, at the absolute most, 300w at full load. He'd be perfectly fine with the 430w PSU. A little headroom is good. 500w would be insane.

Take a look at this page:
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article28-page4.html

v3rt1g0 said:
That's complete nonsense. Marketing fluffery.

Yeah it is but DFI won't extend any support to you unless you have one. :rolleyes:

DFI Support: Do you have a 480w or higher PSU?
You: <_< >_> ....Yes.

Problem solved. :)

Defective said:
For an HTPC I would recommend one of the fanless Fortron PSUs.

500watts on the Seasonic BTW.

what i want to know is how many peeps are running dfi nf4s w/ the s12 430s...

mal

Back